The Planted Tank Forum banner

How do you transfer a tank to a contest/convention/show?

690 views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  BruceF 
#1 ·
Hi all,

I see nice mature tanks in trade-show videos. How do the vendors transfer these tanks there? Do they just drain the tank's water? The aquariums can be transported with all that hardscape in it?

Just curious.

Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
excellent question, it invokes questions and comparisons to:

-cycles and mini cycles in aquaria, when free ammonia is produced from a prior state where it wasnt

-how the show "Tanked" does all their insta fish setups, and how much thats debated online

-what type of options are available to a new tank setup keeper who may not want to recycle

IMO, the answer is bacteria are far hardier than previously given credit for. the pros know how to wield and preserve them for tank transfers (keeping substrate wet, misting plants to avoid shock, creating high humidity transfer environments when shipping without water is required, separately shipping aged biomedia to a job while using brand new equipment bought on site, so many inversions) insta setups and bulk installs where no ammonia has been designed into the system can be planned for all systems, even though that actual aquarium glass structure may be brand new. it is technically old/aged if the majority of media is aged and has nitrifying abilities.

#3 ·
Good question. I'd love to hear how people do it with the hardscape.

I've moved a 10 gallon tank to a show once, but it had no hardscape. All I did was drain it leaving just enough water for the shrimp inhabitants and then filled it back up at the show. I've also drained a 20 gallon and moved it to another location in my house. You do risk breaking the glass or bursting the seams in the tank. I'd love to figure out how to safely move a 20 or 15 gallon around with hardscape as then I can move a tank from my fishroom to be next to me in my office and swap them out every month or two. I was thinking of having a wood board that could be put under the tank to add support. Depending on the aquascape, you'd also need to secure the hardscape when you set the tank up, or have a way to secure it when moving it. You could maybe have some inflatable pads that would press down on the hardscape or fill any voids to hold it all in place.

#5 ·
Just my thought, but IMO I would probably empty out most of the water(80-90%) then put some rap over the top of the tank after taking out the fish heaters and all that good stuff. Next I would get a cardboard box and put polystyrene on the bottom and all corners and the. Put the tank in it and the. Put it my car. Now with the fish I would just put them in bags with tank water and then put them in a polystyrene cooler.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#6 ·
I've moved several times over the last few years.. for cross town type things I remove stones/rocks.. usually leave wood depending how big/heavy it is. With small tanks 20g long and less I remove all water/livestock and use a wood board that is both longer and wider than base dimension of tank then use a strap over the top to keep it stable(tight but not so tight as to warp frame) and cover in plastic wrap and move it to where ever you want. Larger tanks can be done the same way... Now for a six foot or, larger? I have no clue. I just would empty entirely and move strapped down some how.. obviously this would not work for a show tank...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.