The Planted Tank Forum banner

First time Crypt grower....does my Nurii look normal? UPDATED PIC 1/12

8K views 63 replies 22 participants last post by  hedge_fund 
#1 · (Edited)
I received the crypt about 3-4 weeks ago and it finally started to grow. Couple leaves melted when I first put it in but now it's growing strong. I pump a ton of co2 and light in this tank so not sure if this is the way it's supposed to look when healthy.

That's not algae on the leaves by the way....it just looks like it in the pic but that's the pigment of the leaves.

See less See more
#34 ·
So I tore the plant apart yesterday and replanted in my mid-ground since it was taking up prime real estate in the back left corner (this will now be used for L Tornados that I picked up from Tom Barr). For some reason the Nurii just kept spreading and did not grow tall so my tank looked uneven. The one original mother plant became four and I also have a bunch of baby plantlets that I gave out/sold off. Since moving it over to the new spot, the Nurii has been pearling but that's probably coming from damaged spots when I was ripping it all apart. I made sure to trim the roots and put in Osmocote pills in the substrate prior to planting.

I like it much better in this spot...it should look really nice once the HC fills in.

#36 ·
Thanks!

LOL. Yup, I like my Nurii very much. As you can see it's become the center piece of my tank. :icon_mrgr

The plant is about an inch from the glass but I won't really let it take over....I'll probably just keep ripping it up and replanting to the side until I run out of room.

Another quick front shot:

#37 ·
The Nurii was starting to take over my 60-P so it was time to move it out. Glad I did since there were tons of shoots coming out all over the place once I got to the roots. Hydrocotyle Japan just went in its place as a foreground plant. At the same time I decided to set up a Nurii and moss tank with a bare bottom.

I planted the crypts with soil, crushed up almond leaves and capped it with ADA Africana mixed with Akadama. Here are some quick pics of the plants and how they look inside their new tank. I will fertilize lightly and inject a ton of co2 going forward. Since I just dropped them in there the water is a bit cloudy.....should look nice next time I do an update.

And yeah, I started with one plant not too long ago. :)

#39 ·
Re: First time Crypt grower....does my Nurii look normal?

Just saw this thread. I have serious catching-up to do. My nurii just got replanted. All 3 leaves of it...

#47 ·
Thanks. You can see from the first pic that I posted a few months ago that the colors are totally different. In the original pics I was using an LED light whereas now they are sitting under 5500K power compact bulbs from AHSUPPLY. Also, I have started using the Gro tabs from riparium supply.

#50 ·
nice crypt i might have to try that one. only kinda rare one i have may not be rare to most but i dont see it sold often and that is mioya. i love the pink color to it. maybe once moved we could trade. they do get pretty tall. i can show a pic of it if you want

#51 ·
Yeah the Mioya is a nice one as well but unfortunately I have it in one of my tanks. As you said above, you do not see this plant sold here all that often. If I did not have it then I'd definitely be up for a trade.

I am currently on the hunt for a pink flamingo but nobody seems to have it. I have been trying to buy one for the last few months.....I almost want to import it from Germany.

#52 ·
I know there are a few members on here with 'Flamingo' so it can probably be found. I've also been looking around trying to figure out what I want to add to my collection next! Haven't quite decided yet, there are so many cool crypts available!

#56 · (Edited)
Nice, glad to see more and more people growing it out. Just means that soon it's going to be all over in the for sale section.

dude, if you were closer....if only you were closer....I'd split an order of pink flamingo with you in a heartbeat.
I'm only 40 minutes from NYC via train....hint hint. :icon_cool

You guys must be good since I haven't really been able to find it over the last 2 weeks.

#62 ·
Is this normal with C. Nuriis where the roots tend to grow out of the substrate? I've had this happen in multiple setups with varying substrates (akadama, aquasoil and eco-complete). It's never the full root system growing out of the substrate but just a few stragglers here and there. This isn't some type of deficiency, is it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.