The Planted Tank Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shrimp safe fish ??

8K views 79 replies 26 participants last post by  Gatekeeper 
#1 · (Edited)
Why is it people on here think its safe to keep shrimp and fish together !!

Ive read post after post of people asking the same thing and people giving out the wrong information !!
:thumbsdow

#67 ·
I just wanted to comment on this thread (not all the derails and cruddy attitudes).

No fish is truly 100% shrimp safe. They are opportunistic and many will eat shrimplets if given the chance. That being said, I do believe that there are many different very small fish that can be kept in a shrimp tank especially those that are not particularly predatory by nature.

Granted, proper decor, planting, etc is a must. Shrimp are also not 100% safe in a tank that develops hydra or planaria.

I try to pick my stocking density and choices based on my goals for the tank. If I want to have a fast population boom for a shrimp species, I generally keep them in a species specific tank. I wouldn't keep dwarf shrimp with amanos either if I am concerned about saving as many shrimp as possible.

I do keep a lot of nanofish communities which are based around shrimp but include fish (and snails, crayfish, and crabs) like b. brigittae, m. kubotai, m. nanus, c. habrosus, c. pygmaeus, otos, bristlenose, d. margaritatus (less success here), d. erythromicron, y. cruciatus, kuhlis, etc etc etc ad nauseum.

Are my shrimp 100% safe? No, probably not. Are they probably 90% safe, yes, I think so based on several years experience and close observation.

I think the bottom line is that everyone should realize that shrimp are small, therefore the potential stands for them to be food to most fish, and pick stocking density, decor, and tankmates accordingly.

There is a lot of room for growth and understanding within this hobby. New fish are being brought into the mainstream all the time, as are new shrimp. Information is never 100% and one should always try to have an open mind in order to further themselves within the hobby and for the hobby. Most people are more receptive to learning when information is presented in a less confrontational manner.

#69 ·
I have to say, I've killed off some shrimp colonies before. Add Humans to non shrimp safe.
Kitty and Asuka - and that rice this beyond thrilled to have a dead salmon hat. Love it!

There is a lot of room for growth and understanding within this hobby. New fish are being brought into the mainstream all the time, as are new shrimp. Information is never 100% and one should always try to have an open mind in order to further themselves within the hobby and for the hobby. Most people are more receptive to learning when information is presented in a less confrontational manner.
This should be like the law around here. I give you a high five Msjinkzd!

#75 ·
Back to the original point. tamsin pointed out a community where there was no eating of live shrimp. The concept of "shrimp safe fish" is dependent on the type of shrimp. I also keep a large community of Amano's in a tank with Apistogrammas and other theoretical predators and have never lost one. No babies being eaten and a generally happy nirvana for the fish and shrimp.

This tank is shrimp safe for the shrimp I have. If you have different shrimp then you will need to define other shrimp safe fish for that environment.

#77 ·
One goldfish needs at least a 20g aquarium to be happy.

Just because I said something that most of us know that doesn't mean the rest of my post has no significants. Personally, I find this thread hilarious.

Like that?

Or this:

#79 ·
I was trying to clean up this thread, but there doesn't seem like much of a point. Bottom line, fish eat shrimp and some shrimp eat fish. Nothing is truly safe in the animal kingdom. You only need to watch a few hours of National Geographic to find this out.

In the future, I highly recommend some of you read over the rules before posting again:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/i...8-forum-rules-updated-december-17-2010-a.html

Name calling, cursing, ridiculing others are all against the forum. Let's learn to disagree with one another without taking it to a personal level. Is this topic really worth upsetting others?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.