The Planted Tank Forum banner

Food

2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  Plant keeper 
#1 ·
So I had to pick up some wafers for my plecos today and I started to wonder what food and where everyone buys their food from.

So what kind of food do you buy?

Where do you buy your food?

#6 ·
Thanks the main reason I posted this thread is because it seems everytime I go to a LFS it seems like the prices get steeper, maybe its just me. Usually I've been getting the large cylinder of Tetra Color flake food for the fish and I did pick up some frozen food for them as well. I also pick up some cucumbers for my plecos and shrimp. I was thinking of getting a larger quantity of flake food to save money instead of buying smaller containers that end up costing me more in the long run.

#14 ·
garlic helps to inhibit internal parasites. it can also help increase uptake of food for picky eaters. supposed to help prevent nematodes and other organ attacking parasites, and is suspected to be an immunity booster in fish. some products, like garlic guard contain small amounts of other vitamins and minerals that are beneficial also.

it is not, by any stretch of the imagination, a replacement for any medication but has been showing in limited scientific testing to.

just my 2 cents based off experience and recommendation from a couple LFS.

#12 ·
#13 ·
New Life Spectrum .5mm sinking pellets for most of the fish. I use Ken's medicated flake for those times when necessary, and I like to mix it up occasionally with his cichlid flakes as well. I like the Omega One Veggie Rounds for wafers. I use Golden Pearls 200-300 micron for babies and the CPDs. Then I keep microworms for the above mentioned baby/CPD sized fish and feed golden pearls in the AM and the worms PM. Grindal worms for the rams and flags and gudgeons - the medium size fish. The bumblebee goby really relishes them too. I feed the grindals 2-3 times a week alternating with the .5mm pellets so as not to get too much fat in their diet.

HTH

NLS pellets are cheapest on e-bay I've found, and with Ken's food you'll get enough to feed an army for 5 yrs in a 1/4lb bag.

#15 ·
I use mainly tetra, Personal blend, 3 parts flake, 2 parts bloodworm, 1 part gammarus.
All smashed into little bits for the guppies and Ghost shrimp.

Tetra cichlid pellets, and I don't know what kind of whole shrimp for my Oscar and Jack Dempsey. Plus feeders from LFS until I start breeding my own.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.