The Planted Tank Forum banner

I have unleashed a great evil upon the world.

3K views 17 replies 11 participants last post by  Jaggedfury 
#1 ·
Last night, I created something, a monster, a thing too terrible for words...

A jelly donut.
At home.
And it was easy.

Thus assuring the end of mankind as we know it.
Or perhaps just my diet, it's too soon to say.

So, talk to me about donuts, TPT. Have you ever made them? What's your favorite kind? When was the last time you had one? I MUST KNOW.

See less See more
#4 ·
Ooohhhhh.... this is bad. This is really really bad....
*runs off in search of deep fryer...*

#7 ·
We seem to be making these for our Sunday breakfast every week:

Baked cake donuts

You have been warned. Though, being baked, they aren't anywhere near as bad for you, but taste awesome. So far I've done powdered sugar, cinnamon sugar, maple glazed, and chocolate glazed. Also did a batch of chocolate donuts with chocolate glaze -- much recommended.

I feel I should add to this story -- a few days before Christmas, my husband and I were out shopping and passed by a display of bakeware. I commented how I wanted to get a donut pan to use with a recipe I'd found.

Christmas day comes and I go into the kitchen to start the oven for the ham, and my husband suggests I have a look in there first. So I did, and there is a wrapped gift -- a donut pan. Apparently Santa ordered it and had it sent overnight, just so he could wrap it and put it in the oven for me to find. :p

#12 ·
If this is a great evil, I do not dare to think what Krispy-Kream is...

#15 ·
I have made beignets:

But try not to do so often. I refuse to look at any recipe, because then there is nothing stopping me from making this from what I already have in my kitchen. At least if I must get a beignet mix from the store, that's an additional chance to talk myself out of it.

I'm going to go now, and try to forget all about the idea of donuts filled with Gnutella. ;)

#16 ·
best doughnut I ever ate? Yeast raised, deep fried, maple glazed, bacon doughnut.
But right now, I can't get pizza doughnut out of my head. You could fry the pepperoni to crispy it up a bit first, or use finely chopped chorizo...goat cheese and mozza....basil & oregano...thinly chopped sundried tomatoes... you could serve them as dinner and dessert!

#17 ·
My dad tortured me the other day with baklava. Curse him, that stuff is just too good!

Every fall, my family made a point of making doughnuts. We cheated; bought the Pillsbury buttermilk biscuits; you know, those things you peel the paper off them and then smack them on the counter until they pop open. I guess you're supposed to use a spoon to open them, but violently hitting them on the counter is much more fun. Make a ring out them, dump them in the deep fryer, take them out, shake them in cinnamon sugar and viola! Autumn doughnuts.

I'm a sucker for deep fried things. I love that wonderful crispy-ness that you only get from dunking something in boiling 400 degree fat. It's about the worse thing ever for you, but... it tastes good! Never had it tasted better for me than when we went to a wedding in Georgia, where they were serving home-made dishes at the reception. Deep fried cheesy jalapenos? I'm not sure how much punch I had to go through to keep my sensitive mouth from catching fire, but those things were GOOD!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.