The Planted Tank Forum banner

New 40g Breeder Scape

3K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  twkoch 
#1 ·
See less See more
#2 ·
Very nice! I have a little suggestion. I would add some moss to add some different textures and some type of Corydoras to sift the sand and keep it looking nice and clean. Other that that, I could stare at that for a long time and not get tired of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#7 ·
Thanks. I actually have a group of 6 cory cats in there. They must have been hiding for the picture.
I like it. Maybe add some blyxa in front if the driftwood.
I wonder how you keep your Amazon swords' leaves below the waterline - I have to remove leaves from mine constantly to keep it small in the same tank with sand substrate.

v3
Thanks, I do love Blyxa. One of my favorite plants. I went with a lower tech setup on this tank so idk if blyxa would live. My sword just stays a little below the water line. I do trim it every so often so that might help.
very nice very nice
Thank you :icon_smil
It looks a bit empty. Perhaps some Cryptocoryne parva by the wood would help fill in the empty gaps, and some Vallisneria or Eleocharis vivipara to fill in the background.

Also, the hardscape looks too centered and symmetrical. Perhaps adding a lot of smaller rocks would make it look more natural.
I was going for a lightly planted look. Wanted to show off more of the hardscape. I'm also giving the plants room to grow in. The scape is supposed to be an island look, that's why I put most of it near the center of the tank.
loving the driftwood
Thanks! I found it in a river near my house. Not to shabby for free wood!

#3 ·
I like it. Maybe add some blyxa in front if the driftwood.
I wonder how you keep your Amazon swords' leaves below the waterline - I have to remove leaves from mine constantly to keep it small in the same tank with sand substrate.

v3

#14 ·
Thanks. Crypts have been filling in nicely and are starting to look really bushy.
I really really like the tank!

I think its a perfect example of having a fairly simple scape, and easy to maintain number of plants, that looks great! sometimes less is more.
Thank you! Exactly what I was going for with this scape. ;)
+1 on PhysicsDude55
Great to see someone has a tank that is not wall to wall plants.
To repete a previous statement: I could watch it for hrs.
Thanks! I like to see the plants grow in. It's not as fun if you just load the whole tank with plants from the get-go. haha
Great looking hardscape. Very Clean. I agree that some smaller plants would fit well. Too large or too many plants could distract from the hardscape though which is the highlight without a doubt.
Thank you :thumbsup:
I like it! I might use it for inspiration on my upcoming redo.
Thanks, go ahead!

#19 ·
#21 ·
I love this look. I'm setting up a 40 breeder in the next few days and think I might try and copy this style. I'm still new to the planted tank game, so something lightly planted would work great I think. If you could humor me, what kind of plants do you have growing in there?

#22 ·
:proud: In this tank I tried to stay away from stem plants so I could have minimal maintenance with trimmings and such. I went with a large amazon sword plant, crypt wendtti's around the wood, and a tiger lotus. All heavy root feeders, so they really like the dirt.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.