The Planted Tank Forum banner

Some tanks. 120 peninsula, 12 long.

5K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  larcat 
#1 ·
Hi! I haven't been active very much lately because we have just sorta been sitting back and enjoying our tanks. We've fallen prey to the reef addiction, and have been bugging out on that.

My (really mostly my fiance's) 120 gallon planted. Single piece of driftwood. A dozen types of crypts. Lots of anubias petite. Narrow leaf java fern. A buttload of black brush. 50 pygmy cories. ~ 500 malawa shrimp. A dozen c. sterbai. 7 clown loaches. ~ 20 CPDs and ~20 exclamation point rasboras. Couple otos. Very high light. Co2 fed by a dual stage stainless airgas reg off of a 15lb tank. 4x4' t5HO. Aqua medic doser recently added, dosing EI (this SHOULD make my dosing more regular and SHOULD help with the BB.) 2x eheim 2217 (also recently added from my ancient, dying filstars.) Crazy fast growth.... Of everything.... Including BB.

Left side.

Equipment.

Front

Right side. Fiance in the background, shopping juvie Kole tangs on the intertubes.

My 12 long. Fissidens fontanus and anubias petite. Couple of nerites. Eventual home to a bunch of OEBT. About as low tech as it gets. Eheim 2215 feeding a DIY under gravel. Marineland double bright about 2 feet above the tank. No dosing. No algae. Decent growth.

See less See more
#10 ·
Awesome looking driftwood in the 120. Very cool looking tanks.

1 question--Do you play banjo music to the fish at feeding time?

Seriously though really nice looking tanks.

#13 ·
Thanks!

Sometimes it is definitely a distraction, but that said when I have been stuck of knotty data munging issues, spacing out looking at the shrimps has helped get past them a few times I think :) The BB does have me in a constant state of low level rage when I am sitting here tho' ;)

#15 ·
I kept that tank around for a good bit of time, about 1 year. The hard scape ended up being a BBA magnet, however, and the high tech small tank vision was just too much work for me over time. It was really fun, and the stiphodons were amazing, but all in all it was just too high maintenance for the size for me. The amount of flow that we needed for the high-o2 fish meant that evaporation was crazy, so I was constantly topping off, etc.

We moved in October into the city, and when I tore the tank down I gifted the live stock and let it sit dry for a while. Angie decided she really wanted to do the OEBT thing, and we have started messing around with salt water so we now have an RODI system so OEBTs are a solid option for us now, so the 12 was re-imagined as a low tech setup, and will be used as a cull tank for her selective OEBT tank.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.