The Planted Tank Forum banner

Light time cycles for new CO2 setup

702 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  timfok 
#1 ·
Hey guys.

I've got a heavily planted 23l fluval edge, stocked with 5 endlers.

I have mr16 led bulbs and a 13w fluorescent bulb.

I was having severe algae problems on a light cycle of both lights on for 10 hours per day.

I've since reduced this to 5 hours a day, only running the LEDs. It kept the algae at bay whilst I did some co2 research.

I've now got a co2 setup running. And just wanted to check what people would recommend in terms of lighting cycles.

Shall I just go straight back to 10 hours per day? Or do I need to gradually increase the lighting?

I'm scared about choking the fish if its too gradual, but at the same time is doubling the light intensity and duration all at once a good idea?

Prior to the CO2 setup, my led lights came on 5-10 at night.

Now my CO2 is in, I've turned the fluorescent bulb on also, and added two hours in the morning 9-11.

Advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

Thanks

See less See more
#2 ·
Most people tend to set their co2 to come on 1-2 hours before the lights come on, and then set their co2 to turn off 1 hour before the lights turn off. My lighting schedule is from 9am to 4:30pm, and I've never ran into any sort of algae problems.

#3 ·
My CO2 setup is just on off unfortunately.

Yeh thats a similar light cycle ill be working to. However my question was more towards how to introduce normal light cycles after going through a reduced cycle, whether to ease it in or just change straight up

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.