The Planted Tank Forum banner

How does one dry start a tank

949 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  zzrguy 
#1 ·
So how does one dry start a tank. I'm using Eco-Complete. I have 3 bags for my 29 gal tank I was told this will be enough If not I have 2 1/2 bags of Flora-Max I could mix in. I have no rock or driftwood as of now{I do not like the stuff in the LFS around here}. Ive been looking on line for some stuff but nothing caught my eye.

OK then this is going to be a low tech tank for now, I do have a CO2 setup {nutra-fin diy} I was told not to wash the ECO just dump it in form it fill with water let settle the add fish.

So for a dry star from my understand is dump in the substrate form the ground shape {highs and lows} add enough water to flood the low spot just enough to have a slite puddle, then plant and cove then let sit for a week or two then ad water cycle add fish.

Now can I plant my Anubias Congensis, Red Ludwigia,or is it just the low stuff like grasses ,Glosso and such?

#2 ·
You got the concept down. high and low spots make it more difficult to dry start IME, plants in the low spots get too wet and plants in the high spots dry out. If I had to do it again Id make my substrate flatter. Amd most people suggest not letting the water level go above the substrate anywhere in the tank, however it hasent been a problem in mine for the last 4 months lol. If I were to do it again Id put some Miracle grow under the substrate, but some root tabs/osmocote tabs worked ok. Youll have to look up each plant you want to dry start seperately. A good amount of the plants out there will do fine!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.