The Planted Tank Forum banner

Fluval Edge Light Mod LEDs

16K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  timfok 
#1 ·
So I had Hagen ship me out a "replacement" base for the 6.6g Fluval Edge, in attempts to try and create this light/hood mod:

I now have to figure out... what type of lighting I want to put into the hood. The Edge's normal lighting (even with my upgraded Fluval LED bulbs) is extremely low light. I want to try and get this up to around medium, not high enough for co2, but good enough for actual plant growth. So I have been looking around for led bars/discs that have been made already so I can simply put it in place and plug in. Dealing with the DIY lighting and covering the wires, heatsink, and blah blah blah... is not something I really want to do. So with that in mind... Does anyone have any ideas of what to put into this new hood?

I saw these at IKEA, they are rated 3.5w, but I'm not sure how they would work, what do you think?

DIODER Multipurpose lighting
Light color; warm white (2700 Kelvin).
Energy consumption: 3.5W.

I was also thinking about getting the ecopico strips, but I think thats going to cost to much to do what I am looking for...

Please let me know what you think would work, Thanks~

See less See more
#3 ·
You need 9-12W of LED without lens base on my experience in design the Edge Savior.
Even for medium plants? That seems high to me.

BTW, replacement base idea is great even though it does take some of the visual area of the Edge. How much they charge you?
I called Hagen directly. The number for the U.S. office is 1-800-724-2436. Since the base is technically not a replacement part and you cannot buy on their website or any other, they simply asked me for my color of my edge (pewter), what model (6.6g LED) and my address. The "replacement" arrived in 3 days and I paid nothing for it, not even shipping. Their customer service has always been wonderful, part of my reason I love Hagen/Fluval.

#4 ·
I've actually had a thought on the edge lighting problem for a while in the original hood. Wouldn't it work to angle the leds towards the eges Like from the far left side of the hood, angle the led toward the right side of the tank, and vice versa like the shape of a parabolic mirror? This would allow you to position 4-5 LEDs in a parabolic configuration inside that small square and still cover the entire subsrate evenly. I'm sure i culd figure the math out for it if i had exact dimensions, just a little calculus.

#6 ·
Oh i know that, i was referring to building a whole new system. Maybe get a machine shop to make an aluminum heatsink with a parabolic design inside. Actually i wonder if it would be possible to use an actual parabolic mirror and put a single 3w high power LED at the focus point of the mirror. That would give amazing coverage.

#7 ·
#10 ·
Centerman19, I must say that is probably my favorite light mod to date. How many watts does it add to a tank? I want to know if it can be the final piece to my Edge lighting because I only managed around 10W for my tank under the hood with 2x MR11 and 2x 3W bars, which I do not deem enough for plants, even low light. 80$ + 15usd for shipping is a little high on my budget, i'll have to think about it

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.