The Planted Tank Forum banner

Help! Stocking Suggestions Needed Fluval Spec V

11K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  Brenagwynn 
#1 · (Edited)
My 5 gal. Fluval Spec is finally cycled, and I'm planning to make an order with Rachel (Msjinkzd.com) soon. I'd like a shoal of small fish, small enough to have 8-10 total.

Here's a shot of the tank:

And from the other side:

Currently scaped with:
ADA Amazonia
A few small branches of manzanita I had left over
Windelov Java Fern - Microsorium pteropus
Dwarf Hairgrass - Elocharis parcels
Anacharis
Cryptocoryne wendtii
Anubias Nana Petite

My wish-list:
Small (1" or less adult length)
Colorful
Shoaling (would prefer schooling, but will settle for shoaling)
Personality - won't hide in the plants all day like the CPDs.

Right now Rachel has a few options:

Danio erythromicron - Dwarf Emerald Rasbora
Boraras uropthalmoides
Boraras naevus
Microdevario kubotai

I'd been planning to get b. briggitae, but haven't found any in stock locally or with Msjinkzd. I was leaning toward the emerald rasboras, but already have CPD's in another tank, and they're just too shy.

I was planning on ordering from Rachel because there's another fish I'd like that she has in stock for another tank of mine.

Locally, there are a few options, nothing too exotic:
Harlequin rasbora
Lamb chop rasbora
Glowlight tetra

So, what do you think a good choice would be?

See less See more
#3 ·
Microdevario kubotai

My wife's 12 long is scaped similar to your spec V and the boraras maculata hide in the bushes until there is food to be had but the Kubotai are typically out and social, always swimming proudly in the open center of the tank where the light is bright and there's plenty of space. Plus the Kubotais look phenomenal once they settle in and color up, I've never seen a photo really capture them as they can look.

Maybe my CPDs are freaks, but they're out and about almost all the time, the only time they run into hiding is when my wife or the dog run past the tank and spook them.

#4 ·
Any of the boraras species would fit your bill. My maculatas are afraid of nothing. Even when doing water changes they come to my hand to check it out and they always gather at the surface when I put my hand near the tank. I think the kubotai's are beautiful but they might need more room since they are more active swimmers.

#5 ·
I checked out another LFS yesterday, and they've really made some great changes since I'd been there last. I picked up 10 cherries and 3 Pygmy Cories for the Spec. I'll let them acclimate a bit, then order a small group of boraras or microdevario. Is 3 Cories too few? Should I add 3 more?

The LFS also had pea puffers. I'd never seen them in person before, and now I'm in love. Just the ticket for the Fluval Chi I picked up on Craigslist. I think I'll pop a filter and new light in there and set up a species tank. Maybe 2 puffers. Awesome little guys!

#7 ·
i was thinking 2 panda cory with a dwarf gourami and 3 cardinal tetras in my Fluval spec, i know this is a bit crowded but i figured the corys won't take up much space because they stay on the bottom. is this too many? i have seen some real crowded specs and i feel like this is pretty reasonable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.