The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nick's ADA 120-P Journal "THE SEQUEL" - Updated 4/29/14 **NEW SCAPE**

179K views 693 replies 105 participants last post by  erimar 
#1 · (Edited)
7/17/13 - Foreground has come back full force since the many months of neglect. Since the last update, I managed to get the tank back on weekly NPK and killed off all the spyro algae and now everything is nice and green once again.

I've got plans to redo this tank with a brand new scape, but we'll just have to see how much time I have.

5/13/13 - iPhone VID - This is as low maintenance as it's gonna get. I dose NPK and micros about once a week if I remember and do 50% water change once a month, if any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhIN9CBags

Old tank, new scape. This time around I was able to get my hands on some excellent seiryu stones to go along with it. The wood used is the same wood from my old scape. All I did was cut the branches into individual pieces which enabled me to stick em where they looked best for me. I then stacked the rocks on top/in between to help hold them in place. I think it worked out fairly well for this scape.

I spent about 5 hours on Saturday morning from catching all the fish to scooping out every little bit of substrate out. I was beat! Sunday I spent 4 hrs setting up the new hardscape, planting/tying moss, and filling up the tank. Here are some of the pics from this weekend:

1. After a long morning of "project teardown River Wild" :eek5: Scrubbed down, corner to corner.

2. The day after. Soil is in and sloped appropriately.

3. Hardscape is IN! w00t w00t!

4. Plants are planted and moss tied.

5. Fill'R up! Look at that silt! Not to worry tho, my filter took care of it real quick :).

6. Couple hours after fill up. Now we wait for her to fill in.

I will update this post with a plant and equipment list soon. I used a lot of my old plants along with a few new ones. Nothing special.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#3 ·
Mini X-mas moss. I got tired of fissidens from my last scape haha.

I tried e. triandra in this tank a few months back and it never grew for me... kinda weird since most folks say its a weed. I'm assuming it's a soft water plant?

Thanks for the offer Tom, but I'll pass since it hates my tank.

#10 ·
Thank you Ryan :icon_wink.

I see a lot of tanks behind this nice tank :)
That's the Shrimp Room :icon_smil.

Subscribed. If I wasn't at work last night I'd been 2nd poster :icon_mrgr

I zoomed in on that last FTS w/water and there is a lot of intricate detail with the rocks and wood that will look awesome if you don't let it jungle up too much. Those plants you have will look great PDQ as they fill in with EI, CO2 & your lights.
Don't worry bro... I won't let it get too jungly haha. However, I can't promise that the plants will stay the same as the it progresses. For some reason I always tend to change it up a bit as the tank begins to mature. We shall see what happens since I don't really have any cut n dry goals for it.

The rocks and wood looks hot Nick. That looks like a lot of work!
Thanks Howard. The rocks are Hot to begin with so it didn't take much to stack em in 2 separate piles inside a glass box to make em pop hehe. The planting and moss tying was the most strenuous part. :icon_eek:

#8 ·
Subscribed. If I wasn't at work last night I'd been 2nd poster :icon_mrgr

I zoomed in on that last FTS w/water and there is a lot of intricate detail with the rocks and wood that will look awesome if you don't let it jungle up too much. Those plants you have will look great PDQ as they fill in with EI, CO2 & your lights.

#18 ·
I love this hardscape Nick. ...and I know how torturous tying mini Xmas moss to branches can be because that's what I have in a 90p right now.
It wasn't that bad haha. My moss is starting to turn yellow tho :(. I just hope it can recover during this cycling phase, otherwise CRAP... I'll have to tie new moss on underwater and I'm positive that's not gonna be fun at all. :icon_eek:

Very nice Nick!

Your rescape is way ahead of mine....I'm still waiting on my replacement stand, and I still need to get aqua soil LOL!
Catch up Nathan! I thought you'd be ahead of me already. ;) Better buy up that soil at AFA before they run out again.

Subscribed! Love the scape bro.
like the last scape, this one is sweet.

cant wait to see it fill in
Oh, I just love how you throw this whole thing together and it looks fabulous immediately. :D Pure. Talent.

Like the start Nick!! Looks like it will be another winner!
Looking good, bro! I can't wait to see this tank hit it's stride.
Thanks guys!

Very nice. Like the scape. Is that moss color like that?
It's malnurished mini xmas moss lol. I sure hope it turns a new leaf soon.

#25 ·
Those seiryu stones are so complex and cut. Look like large million year old rock out croppings. I'll have to start looking for rocks up in the mountains that have a similar quality. Definitely want some rock like that in my next large scape.

#29 ·
Good luck with the rock collecting audio. I've done my share around the Sierras and haven't found any rocks like these yet.

this tank is epic in person. You should host the next baaps meet bro!
Thanks Tu haha. My place is wayy too small for a club meet bro and you know it. No bueno lol. Later when I get a house, for sure. :smile:

What would you say is the secret to crystal clear water? Plenty of flow?
This: CFS 500 :) Soooo much better than my Eheim Pro3 POS

subscribed :) Its gorgeous!
Gracias!

#38 ·
Nick I like you tanks from the beginning all the way through to the final R.I.P. out. You've learned a lot as you have progressed through several tanks & their scapes. People can't get this kind of knowledge from reading books or surfing the internet. You only get it from doing, making mistakes, and learning from the experience. I've learned a lot from you my friend, but I won't progress until I actually build several more scapes myself.

#42 ·
This is the new design that no longer uses the stiff green hoses. I like this filter alot. My only gripe would be that it doesn't come with any filter media other than sponges. I went ahead and added a 2" layer of Eheim substrat pro myself and I've only washed it once since I've bought it. I think I've had it for almost a year now.

Perfect bang for your buck canister. Not recommended for tanks smaller than 40g.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.