The Planted Tank Forum banner

120 Gallon ADA "like", ditched, Dutch style new pics 137

503K views 2K replies 327 participants last post by  jccaclimber 
#1 · (Edited)
Well, I just did not like the general feel of the ADA like minimalist display prior, so I tore the entire thing down.

Here, I wanted to add lots of color, contrast, display the nice Manzy wood I have, make it a lot of stem plant and pruning type of tank(yes, work:icon_roll), but somewhat manageable still.

I have enough plants to fill it, but I'll remove some plants on the sides(Erios and Compact the Crypt parva down some, I have a few small divider pieces of Manzy wood I'll add this week to make a better dividing line for some of the groups.

I'll change the groups of plants around till I'm happy(often a long process), to achieve the best contrast based more on Dutch rules, rather than ADA aesthetics. Right now it's fairly simple red green red green layout, and less textured contrast. Most of these species are easy to sell also, so they are good "crop plants", 500 or more of the fire cherry shrimp makes it a good shrimp factory.

I have an ADA style tank and my 180 is somewhat loosely based on ADA style, A reef and a Rift cichlid tank. I want a nice style and method for each tank that is different, not all planted tanks with one style.

Tank is not that old after complete tear down, maybe 4 weeks or less.

See less See more
#2,264 ·
I thought it looked rather deep front to back. I would rather have the front to back depth and have my tank only 18" tall rather than 24". Those really are the perfect dimensions.

#2,268 ·
I cleaned out SaltySupply when they closed. A year or two ago I talked with Premium Aquatics in Indianapolis and they were able to get them, but weren't willing to order any unless I wanted to buy the box of 12. Apparently they don't get requests for them very often.

Seeing this reminds me that I do miss this thread. Lots of inspiring pictures and some interesting information as well.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.