The Planted Tank Forum banner

55g Low-Tech Sandy Bottoms'...Shrimp Tank

9K views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  ChadRamsey 
#1 · (Edited)
This tank was supposed to be a temporary set up to house the fish while i redid my big tank.

I had the DW laying around so i threw something together. I pulled a few plants from the big tank out. Treated them for the BBA that plagued the big tank and tossed them in here.

Now that its all up and running, i decided that i kinda like it and am going to keep it. I plan to stuff it full of crypts, ferns and moss.

Tank: 55g
Filter: AquaTop 500 UV (not to impressed with it)
Light: Coralife T5 NO, single bulb

Hardscape: Locally collected DW. PFS. and locally collected rocks.

Plants:
Windelov
Trident ferns
Lace Fern
C. wendtii red
C. beckettii
C. nurii
Nana petite
Hydro V
Hydro sib
Fiss
Mini fiss
Fiss Geppi
Notocyphus lutescens
Narrow Java
Willow moss

See less See more
#5 ·
My "just for now" tanks have a terrible pattern of becoming permanent set-ups.

Crypts growing out in spare tank? Might as well toss some cherry culls in there to keep 'em clean. And hey, look! Otos on sale and I've got room. Gimme a couple amano too while you're at it--and ooooo nice wood!

Three months later I have it all rescaped and am left wondering where I can get some more good crypts for my original project.

#6 ·
My "just for now" tanks have a terrible pattern of becoming permanent set-ups.

Crypts growing out in spare tank? Might as well toss some cherry culls in there to keep 'em clean. And hey, look! Otos on sale and I've got room. Gimme a couple amano too while you're at it--and ooooo nice wood!

Three months later I have it all rescaped and am left wondering where I can get some more good crypts for my original project.
HAHA! yup, that is exactly how this one started.

id love to throw in some shrimp, should in fact, BUT i have a pair of yoyos in there to control the snails and they dont mix to well

#24 · (Edited)
Nice!!!

I can't wait to fill a 40b with moss tiles lol!

-Sent from my Samsung Note, a "Phablet"
I am actually going to be moving the geppi into my 20L and start a carpet in there with it. A SLOW growing carpet, but one none the less

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.