The Planted Tank Forum banner

Gas problems...

2K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  furnfins 
#1 ·
Anyone having problems getting gas from gas stations??? Until further notice, the Mayor has issued that cars with odd/even number plates must get gas at the alternate days. Starting tomorrow.... I just drove around in Brooklyn within 3 miles radius to fill up my car. Only 2 stations have gas and the lines were over 10 blocks long. I am going to wait it out until next week. Hopefully, things will get better. I will not wait 3 to 4 hours for gas.

#2 ·
I waited on line for 3 hrs today and finally got it, I will suggest people fill up your tank with SUPER not regular. That will last longer... Btw I didn't like the way gas station owners jack up the price and cash only. will aviod to goto these gas stations in the future...

#13 ·
I will suggest people fill up your tank with SUPER not regular. That will last longer...
This is not really true, your car is programmed to shoot x# of ml into the cylinder per combustion cycle. So whether you are using 87 or 93 the computer still pumps the same amount of fuel. Higher octane emsures more procise combustion making the motor run smoother wich in turn can also marginally increase power output. (unless you are in a performance oriented car most people probably can't tell the difference in power between 87 and 93)

Another suggestion I have been told you could do is to drive out to NJ to refill. You have to pay the tolls and depending how far you need to drive to NJ. At least, you won't have to wait on line.
This may not be the best option unless you already know of a station that has gas and no lines. Isn't jersey still in a juel pinch too? So that might just leave you with less fuel.

If you were going to venture out for gas, might be better off heading to nassau/suffolk. Driving through suffolk yesterday i witnessed a few stations servicing even number cars on an odd day bc there was literally no one else at the station. Apparently knowing your plate number is to much work for us in suffolk so no one bothered getting gas. :icon_roll

#3 ·
Don't know where in brooklyn you are but I got gas at the Hess station on 4th and 31st. there is a long line for people who aren't first responders but it's a big station and moving at a decent pace and no gas gouging.
Also on 4th and 67th street only about 8 cars online when I passed at 5:15am, and that's the key, go early.

#8 ·
Gasbuddy.com/sandy will direct you to the local nyc map but be warnned thr map may be useless on your mobile, at least it is on my blackberry.

Lots of misinformation on gas buddy as well so be aware. Two places I visited were not even open today. Upon walking to the station, they all say they don't know when the next delivery is. So ask when yeserdays delivery was... These guys tend to be on a delivery schedule. I didn't wait to stick around and went to get breakfast. I'm down to under a quarter so I may be bus and training it to the meet tomorrow.

#9 ·
Thanks. I got gas this morning. About an hour wait by the Hess station at Flatbush and Ave t. Not bad other than someone decided to cut the line. My conversation with him didn't convince the errors of his ways. There were no cops policing the line other than some staff by the nearby car wash station. Depending which neighborhoods you are in, things may get worst. I have an even number plate and so I won't be able to get gas the next time until the coming Tuesday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.