The Planted Tank Forum banner

Go Short or go Tall?

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Knotyoureality 
#1 ·
In the next few months I will be getting a bigger aquarium. :) im very excited about it but I need some help making my descision. Glass cages makes two aquariums that appeal to me
the 95wide 48x24x17

and the 120wide 48x24x25

I one seems to shallow to me for my fish to move around happily ( my loaches and my bichir).. and the other seems like it may be too tall for enough light to get down to my plants...

any feedback would be marvelous...

#2 ·
Hi Drema,

I would encourage you to do some research on the various planted aquarium forums regarding the company you are thinking of purchasing from; their record has been 'spotty' at best. The "search" function is your friend.

#5 ·
I say short if you have the width/space. Tall isn't that useful to be honest and is harder to work with (you'll know it's too tall when your arm pits get wet!) Most fish will stick to one area or venture up/down but in my opinion it's more enjoyable seeing them going left/right rather than up/down constantly.

#12 ·
Ditto. When I had a tank break I didn't have room for the 55+ I wanted for my angel, so I got a 37g tall figuring it's give him more vertical room. Now I'm struggling with lighting and have to haul out a stepstool to do anything in the bottom of the tank.

Next tank will be long and low.

#6 ·
As with anything, you will normally only hear bad reviews, not the good ones. Granted, Glass Cages does have a lot of bad reviews but people are mainly disappointed in the cosmetics. Most complaints are shoddy silicone work. I researched the crap out of them because I would like to get a tank from them. A lot of people recommend to get a tank with black silicone to avoid the crap work they do with the clear. Hope this helps.

#7 ·
I have a 60x18x24 and being 5'4" I need a 4 step ladder to reach the bottom mind you I also have a 36" stand . I would prefer a 24" depth than a 18"
IMO: planted tanks look a lot better . High any where 17-20 there are some nice fish that will stay at upper part of the tank mix with fish for bottom part.

#9 ·
Hi Drema,

Perfecto is owned by United Pet Group as is Marineland, Tetra, Jungle, and several other brands. The other big aquarium manufacturer is All-Glass / Aqueon (which is owned by Central Garden and Pet Group). Have you given some thought as to how you are going to drive enough light to the bottom of that 24" tall aquarium? BTW, I hope you have really, really, long arms!! lol

#10 ·
I was just given a slightly used 10 gallon that was made by perfecto. i live in southern michigan. perfecto years ago used to be made in a small town just outside indianapolis.
about 20 years ago i lived in indy while going to a trade school. when i left indy i brought home a 55 gallon set up. That same set up is in my father basement and still holds water to this day. If the same materials and production methods are and quality control is there, which i believe still is you would be getting a quality tank. that is still a big name with me but that could be me living in the past. I had thought that perfecto was a regional name but i see you are in alabama..... i guess not.

#11 · (Edited)
Seattle_Aquarist thanks for your warnings :D.
My current tank is 20 inches tall and while I know the extra 4 inches will make a difference, my light has the option of 4 t5ho bulbs. I currently only use 3 slots, but with all four filled I will have high light if I want it. But, I like low maintenance so probably not. (http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?t=105774)

So hopefully , with some adjustment I'll be able to get to a reasonable par level for me and my plants. :)
I'm a short gal and I have always had to work with problem solving while scaping :p I have tools and step ladders already lol. If all fails, I'll bump the substrate level up or just go all epiphyte.

Thanks Slippryrock, Good to hear that my money won't be spent on something that is bad quality! :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.