The Planted Tank Forum banner

Best Sustainable Live food.

1K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  Drema 
#1 ·
I have a couple of tanks some with Scarlet badis and one with a juvenile peacock eel. I would love to put something in the tanks or in my desktop palu that would continue to breed easily and be a source of live food.

I'm thinking scuds or black worms?

I would love some feedback on this. Do these two breed readily and will they be appropriate food sources.

i put this in inverts becuase the food is an invert? this may be the wrong thread...

thanks for any feedback :)

#2 ·
Scuds will survive in the tanks probably but won't multiply too much without a portion of the tank set aside to provide them protection from the fish. Blackworms will slowly get eaten to nothing and need to be replenished unless likewise protected. Daphnia and copepods are also good choices with the same caveat. If you want to set up your other tank just for food, all four can be kept together pretty easily. Just put in a sponge filter, some fine substrate and take care of it like a regular fish tank except leave more organic matter inside. Don't expect to supply all the food for the fish from a small tank, the bigger the food tank the better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.