The Planted Tank Forum banner

my first planted tank...please help :/

12K views 114 replies 16 participants last post by  jonnyboy 
#1 ·
I've had my tank for a few months now and am getting frustrated with my plants. They are not dying, but don't look healthy are are not growing.

TANK: 20gal 24Lx13wx17h
LIGHT:18" 15watt full spectrum
SUBSTRATE: 1/2 eco complete substrate. 1/2 quarter inch stones
FERTILIZER: Flourish Seachem. Weekly doses
TEMP: always right around 79 degrees
PH: around 7, but just ordered an API Pro kit to replace test strips
All other tests seem to be in normal ranges....according to test strips
FISH: 7 fish, 3 red cherry shrimp. just lost my Oto Cat :(
PLANTS: 2crypt parva, 1rangeri sword, 2bronze wendtii, 1lutea, 3noname grasses

My main question is why my plants arent growing. lights are on a 9hr cycle, I use weekly flourish seachem doses, weekly 25%-40% water changes always with conditioner....is it the lights? I just ordered a Co2 diffuser to go with my DIY Co2 system which will be in in a few days.
If you tell me to get better lights please give me some recommendations and/or links....I've been reading and shopping for the past couple nights and am really not sure which way to go. Theres so many options and brands and I don't want to buy the wrong one. Aqueon doesnt make a good versatile hood, so I'm ready to make a decent investment.
ANY advice will be MUCH appreciated!!!

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
Definitely upgrade the lights! And if you are going with the pressurized co2, upping the lights, as well as upgrading to a dosing regimen(you can google EI dosing). Theres tons of options for lights depending on what you want to spend, but I would look at Hoppy's article in the Lighting section on this website. Learn about PAR, then make a light decision based off of that knowledge. But the light is the main problem your having right now in my opinion.

#3 ·
Thank you Mitchfish! always nice to have reassurance. guess I'll jump into research mode and try to learn at least the basics. And I'm experimenting with the yeast and sugar Co2 system. I looked at pressurized and its def out of my price range. I actually set it up 4 hours ago with just a regular air stone till i get my diffuser in, and it looks like it about ready to start bubbling already. being cautious with it though.
as far as dosing goes, is there a basic 'all in one' mixture you would recommend? instead of buying everything seperately....

nice bowfront btw! that size will be my next buy cuz this tank is unfortunately a joint financial effort with my gf.....so she has to approve with all the plants i get.....and she doesn't like my 'overplanting' ideas....

#4 ·
Lighting options are pretty versitile with this type of tank. I personally am running 2 x 20 watt LED flood lights over my 20 long and am getting great results with the lights, DIY CO2 and twice weekly dosing of Flourish comprehensive. If you want to go T5 HO, you can start looking around online for a 24" fixture. there are several out there. I don't really have any experience with T5. I just know that I've seen a lot of different options.

#6 ·
thank you redtail. i have been looking at the T5 lights. would love LED, but theyre super expensive to get LED's that will actually benefit the tank. I'll def look into the Flourish Comprehensive too!
I have a while to do research for my next tank, but do like the idea of a dirted tank like coffeelove has :)
For anyone reading....are there any types of moss or a ground cover that would do good in a very low light situation? I'm thinking of having a cave setup in my next tank :D

#10 ·
Django, Look into Flourish Seachem. They have many different dosage options. I'm still in the learning stage, but it sounds like you aren't giving enough nutrients. Mitchfish told me to look into EI dosing, (http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/fertilizing/15225-estimative-index-dosing-guide.html) which is what you ultimately need to do to keep a healthy planted tank. I'm going to try going by these guidelines to see what happenens. I also made a DIY Co2 system that is currently on 24/7 and have been watching my buds start to grow faster already!

#12 ·
So I went with the finnex ray 2 LED lights, and My amazon sword buds are growing a noticeable bit each day. still have lots of brown and pin holes on the leaves though. Will they go away? seems like its getting worse....or should I be dosing twice weekly?

Also, the day after I installed the lights my plants were pearling! next day I noticed alot of green hairlike algae starting all over the plants. Is that due to improper dosing or is it normal for a significant light change?

I'm looking for personal preferences on EI dosing please. Should I buy all my fertilizers seperately? or gradually switch from Flourish Seachem to a different fertilizer?

THANK YOU FOR ANY HELP!!! I'm still a wicked noob....

#16 · (Edited)
The crypts need richer substrate. Seachem Tabs are the best. Cheapest at LNT.com for they don't have any shipment charges.

I would add a siesta period of 4 hrs. Lighs on 4hrs 2xs.

What about Co2? Cheapest route is to dose with Cidex diluted. Excel contains 1.5% Glutaraldehyde. Excel alternative is Cidex 2% Glut matched to excel is dilluted 3:1 solution which is 75% metricide/ 25% water. Then dose 10ml daily until it dies. If you don't have fish in the tank lower the water and dose.

For the lights you might want to hang them to decrease the light to make it a low tech tank. Hoppy has info on that. Also Hyzer made his 29G tank with a T5O light strip

You basically need to decide if you are going to keep low tech or high tech. High tech is high maintenance and required injecting Co2. With high tech you can have red plants

#17 ·
Mr. Hilde,
Thank you for the pointers! I was going to get rid of the crypts for something that will do better with my poor quality substrate. This is basically an experimental tank with my gf. She picks the fish I get some plants. So don't want to spend too much more money on it. I don't mind maintenance though.

I will try doing a 4hr cycle with the lights. How long in between the 4hr intervals?

If I lower the power of the lights wouldn't my DIY Co2 system and some EI dosing with KNO3, KH2Po4, and trace elements be sufficient? Im only gonna buy plants requiring moderate light, so I know that's limiting but it's not a big deal. I know the Co2 helped cuz I had that going before I got the new lights and noticed the new growth sprouting faster.

I basically want to keep my plants healthy and growth would be nice too. I now know overdid it with the lights, but using some 'neutral density filter sheets' would help right? I appreciate the help! I enjoy working on my tank, but don't have alotta money I can throw at it

Thanks

#21 ·
Hilde, As I told Mitchfish, my Co2 is basically non exhistent right now. I dosed flourish comprehensive and excel after a water change tonight. Should I take the Co2 out completely until I can keep it steady and actually have a diffuser?

I also replaced the dying crypts with a couple dwarf baby tears. And i added the plants in the back....don't remember what my LFS called them. And three amano shrimp to maybe help control the algae burst a little.

I truly appreciate you guys helping me and sharing your knowledge and opinions!!!

#23 ·
I don't see the algae in the full shot. Which plant is it on.

Your light is not very strong. Looks like the light I get from a 10w flood light, which is medium low light. With Seachem excel you have to dose at least every other day. I would dose at least 10ml daily until the algae on the plants starts turning brown.

The plant in the middle is Rotala Macradra v narrow leaf[ The addition of Seachem iron would help it stay pink.

#31 ·
Just an update for anyone still interested or reading. Did a big water change/cleaning/light adjustment/Co2 change Saturday. Been waiting to do all this because I'm treating the tank for mouth rot right now. Seems to be under control though.

The finnex ray2 led light is now hanging over tank making it 20" over substrate. According to Hoppy's article and estimates that puts me at 50 par. Might raise them a little more depending on algae growth.

Running two DIY Co2 generators that make a little less than 1 bubble per second. Still haven't seen my diffuser I ordered 3 weeks ago.....so have the bubbles going up into a pocket in the driftwood to help the Co2 dissolve better.

Going to order the smallest power head I can find to help make better circulation in the tank. And suggestions? Looking at the hydor koralia 240 right now. Don't want too much current. Also going to get some seachem iron to add with my dosing.

Dosing flourish comprehensive twice weekly, and excel every other day now that I have the Co2 back.

Only new growth I've noticed is on my rangeri sword and those leaves look good. Any leaves on all the plants that aren't new don't look very healthy though....is that normal that thay arent coming back with the new lighting? (I had horrible low lighting for a while)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.