The Planted Tank Forum banner

Mr. Aqua 11.4g Blue Diamond tank/Riparium now with Super Tigers

26K views 137 replies 28 participants last post by  Nubster 
#1 · (Edited)
I started a thread not long ago where I was going to do a Mr. Aqua 12" cube Buddha tank. That's been placed on hold. After speedie408 unleashed his awesome Blue Diamond shrimp on us, I jumped at the chance to be one of the first to obtain these beautiful shrimp. In doing so, I decided that the 12" cube tank just wasn't enough real estate and I wanted to go with a more natural scape. So, I decided to stay frameless and being very happy with the first Mr. Aqua tank, I grabbed another. This time an 11.4g, 18.9" X 11.8" X 11.8" tank.

Plans for this tank include a large rock mound, maybe two filled with Eco-Complete and covered in moss/fissidens. There will be some other low light plants such as a handful of crypts I have on hand and some Hydrocotyle Japan hopefully to form a foreground carpet of sorts. I'll also be heavily planting my HOB filter and possibly going full riparium with the tank.

So here's the break down:

Equipment
  • Tank - Mr. Aqua 11.4g, 18.9" X 11.8" X 11.8"
  • Filter - AquaClear 50 HOB
  • Light - Finnex FugeRay-R Ultra Slim LED Fixture +RED boost, will probably upgrade to afugeRAY soon for more medium light

Scape

• Locally collect rock and/or lava rock mounds
  • Eco-Complete

Critters

• Blue Diamond neos
  • Possibly Super Tigers if the water parameters cooperate

Plants

• Fissidens fontanus
  • Aluminum plant
  • Wandering Jew
  • Pilea cadierei
  • Fittonia argyroneura
  • Ludwigia Hybrid Red
  • Hydrocotyle Japan
  • UG - included in plant package I just grabbed from FS section, doubt I'll have the lights to make it work though. Might try to incorporate it into the planted HOB.

So that's where I'm at right now.

See less See more
#99 ·
I think I posted it at the beginning. Off the top of my head I think they are:

pH 7.6
KH 2
GH 6
TDS 230
Using tap water

Temps around 70 or so. I have a small AC unit in the window of my "shrimp" room set on 65 but it isn't quite that cool in there.

Substrate is inert Eco-Complete.

They'd do fine in a 5.5g tank. They are just neos though I suspect they are a bit more sensitve due to breeding for their coloration. Similar to yellow neos. So if you are thinking about them, make sure to set your tank up at least a month in advance if not longer if you don't have the tank setup already. That way there's plenty of biofilm and the tank is nice a ready. I made the mistake of setting mine up litterally the night before my shrimp arrived. I can't say for sure if that's what caused my deaths, but I had 5 deaths out of 11 shrimp I bought from speedie plus a DOA.

#100 ·
I just went back and looks like I didn't post some of the parameters. I'll give them a check this evening and update that. I should check to see where things are at. I'd guess they are good considering a new batch of babies and two berried tigers. Lots of molts all the time so I'm assuming GH/KH is good and everyone is liking the tank well enough.

#101 ·
Here's a few shots of the rip kit. I just have them in there haphazardly at the moment. I just wanted to get the plants in the water and under some light. Everything seemed to make it through shipping just fine. I'll probably mess with the placement some more tomorrow.

The kit...

Front...

Top down. Can't see the red root floaters that well...I was using my phone.

I'll be removing the LED light and hanging a CFL up above the tank so all the plants get plenty of light. Things in the tank should be shaded plenty to maintain low light. Guess we'll see what happens over time.

#105 ·
So awesome! I think mine are adjusting finally. I THINK my PH/GH/KH are a little too low for them.

Doing some testing and reconfiguration of their water soon.

Their shells are beautiful like yours though.

#109 ·
I'm using Eco-Complete and I really like it a lot. All it is really is finely crushed lava rock. With a little searching I'm sure you could find it cheaper. But I love the look of it.

The light, yeah, it's a nice little light. It's doing a fine job with the plants I have in and on the tank. The stuff in my HOB has really grown a lot and things in the tank are doing well too. I do plan to change it out for a suspended CFL so that I can get light on all my new rip plants and I'll use the clip on with my other cube tank which I plan to setup soon for my PFR's. Eventually I'll get a different Fenix light to suspend over this tank but for now a CFL should work just fine.

#110 ·
I'm using Eco-Complete and I really like it a lot. All it is really is finely crushed lava rock. With a little searching I'm sure you could find it cheaper. But I love the look of it.

The light, yeah, it's a nice little light. It's doing a fine job with the plants I have in and on the tank. The stuff in my HOB has really grown a lot and things in the tank are doing well too. I do plan to change it out for a suspended CFL so that I can get light on all my new rip plants and I'll use the clip on with my other cube tank which I plan to setup soon for my PFR's. Eventually I'll get a different Fenix light to suspend over this tank but for now a CFL should work just fine.
How do you think it will do on a 5.5 gallon?

#114 ·
D7000 is about $650-700 used. That's what I'd do. If not, the D5100/5200 for sure over the D3200. I only ever buy used. Never had a problem. You get so much more bang for the buck. Yeah, I'm a generation or two behind the current models, but the stuff still works fantastic is in all honesty is way more camera than 90% of people would ever need.

#115 ·
Oh I believe it. I need a DSLR for work. I just don't get paid a lot for work... Yet lol. It just would be convenient that I could use it for shrimp.

Wonder if I could get a lens included for $650 on a D7k.

#118 ·
Just saw that update. Damn that's a good deal. >_____> if only I had saved for it already. In the planning stages of purchasing one. Was considering September/October as a buy date.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.