The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cable's madness

14K views 87 replies 15 participants last post by  cableguy69846 
#1 ·
Ok, so as some of you know, I have had quite a few threads on here. My latest was trying to keep track of my 2 20gallon tanks. Then it turned into 2 20gallon tanks and a 10 gallon tank for a breeding pair of L144 plecos and fry. And shrimp..... Anyway, after taking a hiatus from the internet for the most part, I am back. I still have the 20 high, but the 20 long got completely redone, and the 10 gallon breeding tank was replaced by a 20 long....... Oh yeah, and I just got a mini-rack too. Any way, no pics of the 20 high today, it needs a water change, and I want to redo the substrate, and just revamp the tank a bit. So I will update that later. Here is the mini-rack though. A $50 5 tier wire shelf from Target with a load capacity of 350 lbs. per shelf. 6' tall x 36" wide and 18" deep. Not bad. Holds two 20 gallon longs perfectly.

The top tank is for the L144 plecos and some cherry shrimp. Bare bottom with lots of driftwood, java ferns, and anubius plants. Subdued lighting (for now) and an air powered sponge filter. Gonna get a shoplight and another sponge filter for it. The bottom tank is MGOPM capped with flourite. Lots of driftwood, crypts, cherry shrimp, and my 4 remaining cardinal tetras. Gonna get them some buddies at some point. 2 air powered sponge filters and the same lighting as before.

Bottom

This shelf worked out great. I have room for another tank on the bottom if it was not sandwiched between the wall and my wife's desk. Some storage on top too. On top of that, I got ambitious, and gave each shelf it's own power strip. Worked out well.

That is all so far. I will do my best to update this thread and not let it die like all my other ones. Lol.

See less See more
#5 ·
Thanks man. That rack was a sweet deal. I wouldn't trust it with any tank larger then the ones I have on there.

Tons of shrimp. In both tanks. And tons berried and saddled too. I also just sold a mess of them too. Lol. As for the snails, I have gotten rid of hundreds already. They are trying to take over or something. I may have to get some assassin snails to keep them in check. *facepalm* And to think, all those snails from two about a year ago.

Sent from my phone via my job's wifi, most likely.

#7 ·
I only have the short finned ones, but I am willing to share. Need about another month though on the fry. Don't think they would survive shipping as small as they are right now.

I do need to get the long finned ones too. I think I already see another tank in the works.

#17 ·
Every time I give them more room, they have babies. I wonder what they would do in a 55 gallon tank. May have to try it.:D

#19 ·
Wow, you've really come a long way! Isn't it wkndracer that has the multi grouping of 10g tanks with shared plumbing? Thinking about doing the same? I'm eagerly watching this new development!

#20 ·
Thank you.:)

It is him. Kind of planted the idea in my head a while ago. I am not going to be using the plumbing for filtration though. Just for water changes. And I am going to attempt to drill all the tanks so I don't have to worry about siphon issues. Going to be slow going though. Still have a lot of planning and cleaning to do to get the area clear. Hopefully I will be able to see how much material I will need this week though. Stay tuned.:icon_wink

#21 ·
Figured I would post a couple of pictures of the tanks.

The rack.

I changed the lights around a bit. I added a dual T5HO 36" fixture to the bottom tank and put the lights that used to be on that one on the top. So far, so good.

Top tank.

Bottom tank.

And the 20high. Nothing has changed.

Enjoy.:)

#28 ·
The tanks look good Cable and the Albino Plecos are getting big!!!!! How many did you get out of the brood? I was reading about them and how just small changes will keep them from breeding, like the wrong size cave, etc. it seems they like a some what tight fit.

Did you see the Ghost Shrimp photos from my 10 g?

#30 ·
Thanks man. I didn't get very many. I think some of the eggs got eaten by something. Not sure though. I am going to try adding some bigger caves as the fish seem to have outgrown the ones I have in there.

Have not seen it yet, but I am going to go look in a minute.

Nice tanks! What's the red plant that is in your 20H(last picture)?
Thank you. That plant is Alternanthera renekii (sp?).

#32 ·
Sorry. I totally forgot to answer this. I know it was a long time ago, but here is what I have seen so far. I had DIY CO2, ferts in the water column, and medium light on it. It seemed to love it, from my experience.

#33 ·
Ok. I am still alive. I actually just moved the tanks around today. I moved the rack over a bit. Put the salty tank in place of the 20high, and put that tank on the bottom shelf of the rack. I will probably replace it with a 20 long or a 29 gallon tank. Not sure. I will probably post a pic tomorrow. Ya know, after the end of the world and all that. :hihi:

#34 ·
Ok. Picture time.

The whole thing.

Top tank. Need to thin out the L144's.

Middle. Need more cardinal tetras.

Bottom. Need to replace one of the loud filters and need a new light.

That is all for now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.