The Planted Tank Forum banner

fish hiding - what to do?

1K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  ShyShrimpDoc 
#1 ·
so lately, my fish have been hiding behind a log in my tank. they'r not moving or anything and they're just sitting there. so far, ive seen a red platy and a bloodfin tetra do it. im not sure if its normal, or if something's wrong. please help!

#2 ·
Basic information needed - tank size, equipment, water parameters (maybe), number and type of fish, layout/ornaments

It also depends on how often they hide, if it's in response to something, if there's an aggressor, how long they're there (maybe), and what they're doing back there. Any recent changes? Other changes to behavior or appearance?

Sorry, but there's not much to go on with your description.

#3 ·
so its a 55 gallon tank, low light, water hyacinths on the top, a few plants
fish: 2 dwarf gouramis, 5 balloon belly mollies, school of 5 bloodfin tetras a rubber lip pleco and 3 red platys.
filters: moving bed filterx2 and a petco hob filter
ive seen them there occasionally, just swimming in place. the tetra was usually active and swimming around with the other tetras, but one day i saw him just sitting there. but they will eat when i come to feed them

#4 ·
Perhaps the water flow in the tank just happens to suit them in that spot. Try moving something and see what the fish do.
Other times there really is something wrong with the fish and they are hiding or getting away from the water movement.

Most Tetras are more schooling than Platies or Mollies, but even they will have individuals that do not want to swim with the crowd. Maybe someone is picking on them.

#5 ·
How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled? I didn't see water parameters posted.

Assuming the tank is cycled and healthy then it could be an aggressor; Gourami's can be nasty sometimes. Keep an eye on the tank and see if you notice any problems with bullying.

#6 ·
Is this a change in behavior and you can't recall anything changing since they started hiding? If so, probably something wrong.

Is it all the fish or specific fish? If all -probably something environmental, like tank location in the room or water movement, if a few -probably territorial aggression, sickness...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.