The Planted Tank Forum banner

The weather in Nevada for shrimps

2K views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  ddrfreak_tung 
#1 ·
Hi guys,

I will be attending a school in Las Vegas and I was wondering if anyone can tell me the input of the weather. Will I be able to have CRS w/o a chiller?

I know the temp is constantly over 100 degrees in the summer.

#2 ·
Hi!

I'm not sure how much this will help as it is somewhat general. I have no trouble keeping my 3 tanks at 78F year round, my 8 gal is 76F, it probably could drop another degree or 2 with evaporation. It has Cherry Shrimp in it, they seem to fine. That being said, I'm a total noob when it comes to shrimp.

You are not going to want to ever shut off your A/C anyway- my place is around 78 daytime, 75 night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve001
"Set your thermostat to 80 or there abouts... If you're of the habit of leaving off the AC during the day and turning it on when you get home you are not saving any money. I've heard it stated many times by home experts and utility companies to set your thermostat and let your AC run as needed. Your AC unit does not have to run as hard either as it would cooling down a hot house."

Quote: and by Teterouge ;)
"I've lived in LV for many years and kept an aquarium (with varying success) for about 10. I totally agree with the above. As it was explained to me, after a few hours, everything in your house is 88, 90 or whatever, not just the air. So you have to cool not just the air in the house but all the warm "everything" else as well. Bump it up maybe 2-3 degrees if you want. Mine is programmed to go up a couple when I go to work and down a couple when I go to bed."
Here is a link to a thread which is much like your question. http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/showthread.php?p=1485634#post1485634

Hopefully an experienced shrimp keeper will chime in! Welcome to town!

#4 ·
Here in Denver it's hot in the summer (mid 90's most days) and without a chiller it's hard to keep the tanks at 80 degrees. I can definitely tell that the neo shrimp slow down their breeding a lot when it's hot, but they otherwise seem to be ok.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.