The Planted Tank Forum banner

Nick's ADA 120-P Journal "THE SEQUEL" - Updated 4/29/14 **NEW SCAPE**

179K views 693 replies 105 participants last post by  erimar 
#1 · (Edited)
7/17/13 - Foreground has come back full force since the many months of neglect. Since the last update, I managed to get the tank back on weekly NPK and killed off all the spyro algae and now everything is nice and green once again.

I've got plans to redo this tank with a brand new scape, but we'll just have to see how much time I have.

5/13/13 - iPhone VID - This is as low maintenance as it's gonna get. I dose NPK and micros about once a week if I remember and do 50% water change once a month, if any.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FkhIN9CBags

Old tank, new scape. This time around I was able to get my hands on some excellent seiryu stones to go along with it. The wood used is the same wood from my old scape. All I did was cut the branches into individual pieces which enabled me to stick em where they looked best for me. I then stacked the rocks on top/in between to help hold them in place. I think it worked out fairly well for this scape.

I spent about 5 hours on Saturday morning from catching all the fish to scooping out every little bit of substrate out. I was beat! Sunday I spent 4 hrs setting up the new hardscape, planting/tying moss, and filling up the tank. Here are some of the pics from this weekend:

1. After a long morning of "project teardown River Wild" :eek5: Scrubbed down, corner to corner.

2. The day after. Soil is in and sloped appropriately.

3. Hardscape is IN! w00t w00t!

4. Plants are planted and moss tied.

5. Fill'R up! Look at that silt! Not to worry tho, my filter took care of it real quick :).

6. Couple hours after fill up. Now we wait for her to fill in.

I will update this post with a plant and equipment list soon. I used a lot of my old plants along with a few new ones. Nothing special.

Thanks for looking!

See less See more
#178 ·
^^ Thanks guys!

haha Good eye indeed. It was given to me by a fellow SFBAAPS member. Hopefully I'll be able to get a nice little grouping soon to form a bush back there.

Wow. Zachs got a good eye!

Nick I was wondering what you fed your roselines?
I fed them NLS pellets, freeze dried bloodworms, and frozen blackworms.

#182 ·
The tank broke out with diatoms, staghorn, and BBA. That was all because of CO2 and new AS. I cut off all the effected leaves of any plant that had staghorn growing on them and I started dosing Glut daily as well as upped my CO2 injection. Lights have also been cut in half from 4 x 54W t5ho to 2 x 54W. The plants are now growing well and algae is disappearing.

I also added my plecos back into the tank a few days ago and they helped tremendously as far as keeping the glass and wood clean.

#191 ·
After 9 months of mostly running CO2 24/7 I think I might finally be running out the 20# cylinder. It's very slowly dropping below 800 psi. Looks like I've got another few weeks at least since I'm only running it 8 hrs/day.

#193 ·
I'm just running @ golden lime green with no misting. This is overkill for my slow growers, but I hope it helps keep BBA at bay. I'm going to run CO2 even on low light tanks.

#201 ·
Some spathes smell horrible so maybe its a good thing for you :hihi:. Then again it'd be nice to see it actually open up.

It's working great so far, I have it split too two tanks 24/7 and this 20# co2 tank has been up and running for like 6 months. Can't complain i guess.

I got pics up of the Spathe!
If it aint broke, don't fix it! :wink:

#206 ·
I had 11 Roselines full grown in a client's 350 Gal, they took over the tank and bullied every other fish. They were like larger SAE's that got fat and lazy.
Even a tank that size, they seemed crowded. They were the same size as the ones at Albany Aquarium had for awhile.

So what is the plan for the plants in the front of the tank? E hydropiper can be brought back.
E triandra is easy and would balance and fill the tank in rapidly, nice very bright green.
UG is another nice option.

H araguaia around the rocks as mid ground(this plant can handle being shaded some) and nice bright green foreground would contrast well, then some ferns etc over the rocks etc........some nice brighter color stems in the rear.

#207 ·
I had 11 Roselines full grown in a client's 350 Gal, they took over the tank and bullied every other fish. They were like larger SAE's that got fat and lazy.

So what is the plan for the plants in the front of the tank? E hydropiper can be brought back.

E triandra is easy and would balance and fill the tank in rapidly, nice very bright green.
You trying to say you got some foreground plants ready to drop in the mail for me Tom? :hihi: I've tried E. Triandra in "River Wild" before and it just didn't take hold... maybe my lights are not strong enough? I'd love to give hydropiper another go because the tank is very stable now. All signs of algae have vanished. :biggrin:

Let me know Tom!!

Actually... send me everything you think will go well in this tank. I'll make it work hehe ;)

#217 ·
If you OD too much, the crypts will start melting starting at the petioles. I've been spot dosing most of the time after intense cleanings if algae appears. Got rid of all my staghorn and BBA that way. Cut away all infected leaves because they're already dead. This promotes new growth and soon enough, the plant will regrow new leaves.

#222 ·
LMAO :icon_cool:thumbsup:

It looks good but it still looks naked compared to the old scape, it's going to look really nice with the riparium plants above the water.
Wait... how did you know I was getting some more riparium plants? hehe

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.