The Planted Tank Forum banner

6g shrimp tank

3K views 22 replies 11 participants last post by  assasin6547 
#1 ·
So this is my first time posting a journal. Ive been lurking around on this site for months. Purchased some plants off of different members. Im starting a new tank and im still pretty new to the hobby so any iinput would be great. I got a 6 gallon tank from gla for xmas so its time to get it going.

Tank GLA 36-L
Light Finnex 26w clip on light
Substrate. Amazonia
Filter undecided
Paintball co2 haven't picked out regulator yet
EI dosing

Flora
Plants are probably gonna be HC, possibly blxa and looking for other ideas.

Fauna
Fire reds. If all goes well maybe get into so more expensive shrimp.

First things first. I just got the amazonia in today so im trying to work on the scape. I have been moving things around and have a few ideas. Any input would be great. Im having a hard time deciding. Im going with dsm method so I still have to order the rest of the hardware I need.
Brown Wood Brick Plant Rectangle

Brown Wood Plant Brick Arthropod

Plant Branch Wood Twig Sculpture

Plant Wood Houseplant Bonsai World

Wood Rectangle Flooring Floor Brickwork

See less See more
#4 ·
Agreed with Mabj last second is good, I would plant just Hc and plant blyxa behind the tree n plant some next to the rock, i would not plant more blyxa at all, leave it simple n it will look really good. If you want , try HC with dry start method n let it fully carpet n then flood it with water n plant blyxa.. I would just add a lil bit of moss in the tree but would not cover it..maje tree with a lil moss looks better than fully covered..planting blyxa just in those location will give a bit more prespective.. if you plant heaps of stem plants n blyxa at the back, then when your tank is fully grown it would loose the scape..sometime it's better to keep it simple..just my 2cents , I m no pro so if an experience member give you shine more thought then try that as well

Sent from my HTC One X using Tapatalk 2

#5 ·
I like the second to last too. I def wanna keep it simple. I was planning on dry start with hc. Its gonna be my first attempt. I also have some xmas moss growing in my ther tank that I will prob clip a bit off and put in there. I did a bit more fiddling and this is what I cam up with. Its prob gonna be this or the second to last. Gotta sir on it for a day. Organism World Rectangle Wood Art

#14 ·
No. Check my 10" spec journal in my signature. I only have crayfish in there ATM, but even he doesn't climb out. He will push his head against the water though. He's curious.

#15 ·
I just got the HC in today thanks to nilocg. I had been moving things around and figured i was being to picky. So i just went with what i had in there when the hc arrived. Then the planting began. Also got so Dwarf Hair grass. It is very short and im hoping it stays that way. I read something about if you trim it before you plant it will stay short, But this was pretty short as it is. Can i trim it later if it gets to high without damaging it? Here are some pics.
Wood Rectangle Gas Glass Transparent material

Plant Dishware Rectangle Art Linens

Tableware Plant Dishware Insect Ingredient

Plant Terrestrial plant Houseplant Ingredient Aquatic plant

I plan on putting blxa in the right corner behind rock when i flood the tank. This is my first time with dsm so fingers crossed. Now i have to be patient and get everything else while i let this grow out.

#16 ·
Nice tank! I actually wanted to get this tank, but GLA was sold out of it just after the new year, so I got an ADA Mini-M instead. I'm also dry-starting HC like you, but doing glosso instead of DHG. Let's see how our tanks turn out!

#18 ·
I got the tank for xmas. I like it. Ive never owned an ada tank so I guess I have nothing to compare it too. I was debating on doing glosso, or maybe ug. But I went with dhg because I thought it might look better around the wood.

I love th driftwood. It was a great find for me and I bought it even though I had nowhere to put it yet.

#19 ·
So its been almost a month since planting. In the first two weeks I had a bunch of hc die. The remaing hc started to gow pretty well and I have been trimming and replanting it into the spots where it died off. So far pretty happy with it. As for the dhg it hasnt grown at all. Not sure why. About a weeks ago I took some out and seperated it into smaller clumps seeing if that would make a difference.
This is about two weeks after planting. At this point it started growing after the die off.
Nature Plant Vegetation Organism Terrestrial plant

This is it today.
Water Plant Green Natural landscape Aquatic plant

I have an aquatek regulator in the mail. I won it on ebay cheap. I also have a new eheim 2211 cycling on my 50. I cant wait to fill this tank in. Thinking maybe the dhg might grow if I just fill it up and crank co2.

#21 ·
Well its been awhile since I updated this. Ive been real busy. Had a lot of issues with water changes I t he beginning. I ended up loosening up and havi g to replant a lot of the hc. It was a pain. The dhg never did do well so I took it all out. I replaced it with some rotala in the back and hygro compact in the front of tree. Over all I think it looks a lot better. Im getting a little bba and gsa but nothing uncontrolable. I still need to get some lilypipes. The green ehiem tubes are a bit of an eye sore. Will post pics soon

Oh and I have two very tiny very cure zebra killifish in there. Had a pair of chocolate killis but the famale ended up munching on a bunch of my shrimp. Needless to say she lost the priveledge of having a tank to herself and now she is lost in the 50 with all the other fish.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.