The Planted Tank Forum banner

Finally finished my 120 gallon stand and canopy

13K views 52 replies 28 participants last post by  timelessr1 
#1 ·
Well, it only took a year or so, but I finally finished the stand and canopy for my 120 gallon tank. The main construction was 2 X 4's and then skinned in all cherry! The filtering for this tank will be two ehiem 2028's and lighting is a Coralife 4X65 CF with lunar lights.

This is the stand finished but awaiting stain and poly

This is the finished tank, in its resting place!

See less See more
#7 ·
Thanks! That was the deal i made with the wife! she said i can have a big fish tank as long as the stand matchees our furniture. So i figured...I can do that! It took a while, and learned alot as I went along. I'll get other pictures up as soon as i start the hard scaping (still waiting on some mineralized soil)

Creedy- you are right...it can be tough with trimming since the stand is roughly 30 inches and the tank is about 28-28 inches on top of that. I'm going to try and keep this a low tech tank. I'm running a CF coralife 4X65, and each row is on its own timer, so i'm going to see if maybe 1 row for 8 hours with a burst of 1 hour from the second row of light...we'll see b/c i dont want to be doing weekly trimings in this tank

and this is a picture of the base prewired, and also the water change drain plumbed in to the wall, before the tank went on

This post has been deleted
#15 ·
Wow....great looking work. I now have my motivation for a big one now. I have the perfect wall for a 7 foot tank, will be using this thread as it goes along to get the wife on board. Any chance you would be willing to make another set and sell (preferably in less that a year!) :)

Thanks!

Hey....you never know how this economy is going to go...i might have to end up going into the aquarium stand building busniess....hahahaha

#13 ·
Beautiful furniture quality job. Will the tank bottom be drilled so nothing has to go up behind it? And, I see what looks like a water supply line in the wall, but no drain, or is that a line that leads to other valves so it acts as both the drain and supply?

#14 ·
Beautiful furniture quality job. Will the tank bottom be drilled so nothing has to go up behind it? And, I see what looks like a water supply line in the wall, but no drain, or is that a line that leads to other valves so it acts as both the drain and supply?
Thanks!

I'm actually going to be using 2 canister filters. I currently have a 55 gallon tank That has an Ehiem 2028 and a 2026 running it. I'm going to buy one more 2028, and take the one on the 55 gallon also, so this way i'll have two 2028 on the 120 gallon. I also have an inline heater and UV sterilizer that will be plumbed into the filter returns. The drain line that you see, comes out right above a slop sink in the basement, and has the smae valve end on it. So what i plan to do it connect the section that you see in the pictures in line to one of the returns from my canister filter, this way I can just open the valve and have the canister push water down the drainage line to the slop sink. Then for refills I have a python end that connects on to the sink faucet and i will connect that to the valve thats comeing from the wall above the slop sink, and i can send water back through.

#16 ·
Well, it only took a year or so, but I finally finished the stand and canopy for my 120 gallon tank. The main construction was 2 X 4's and then skinned in all cherry! The filtering for this tank will be two ehiem 2028's and lighting is a Coralife 4X65 CF with lunar lights.

This is the stand finished but awaiting stain and poly
Just wondering what type of wood you used and where you bought it from. I know good wood is expensive, did you buy it from a home depot or lowes or a lumber yard? Also, the moulding on the top of the aquarium, did you make it or did you buy the pre made kind.

Thanks!

#18 ·
Just wondering what type of wood you used and where you bought it from. I know good wood is expensive, did you buy it from a home depot or lowes or a lumber yard? Also, the moulding on the top of the aquarium, did you make it or did you buy the pre made kind.

Thanks!

The frame its self is made out of 2 X4's which i picked up from my local Home Depot. I think the frame alone was only about $30 or so. The rest of the wood is all Cherry, and i picked it up from a local lumber yard here in Jersey. The crown molding on top was already cut like that ( i think it ran like $15 a foot) The thin slats that I used as molding I got from a online lumber yard from central PA since my local place wanted to charge me like $400 for those.

And in case anyone was curious the Stain I used was a water based stain from a compnay called General Finishes. The polyurathane i used was water based also from General Finishes which I sprayed on with a spray gun

#28 ·
Nice looking stand timelessr1.

Is that receptacle next to that waterline that you ran GFI protected?
No, not yet at least. I was contemplating whether or not i should change that outlet to a GFI outlet. That woter line is really only a drain/ water fill line, but it might be safe just to make the outlet GFI since electricity and water dont mix very well, and I'm dealing with 120 gallons of it. Now that i think about it...i have one or two extra GFI outlets laying around...looks like i'll be changing that out....thanks Biscut!

#32 ·
Very nice! I love the dark stain. It should show off the tank very well. Can't wait to see it planted!

#39 ·
Hi,

I know this thread is kind of old, but I remembered this beautiful stand the other day and started looking for the thread, as I couldn't remember who had posted it or anything ;)

I would love to see (and I'm sure I'm not alone with this) how this tank turned out. Maybe you could start a journal, or even just post a picture in here...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.