The Planted Tank Forum banner

Stores in the Minneapolis, Bloomington area

2K views 11 replies 6 participants last post by  EndlerGame 
#1 ·
I will be coming to Minnesota on vacation next week and was wanting to know what stores anyone from Minnesota would recommend in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area. I will be staying in Bloomington but will be traveling into Minneapolis for a few days. What are your top choices for stores to check out? I'm into checking any nice stores out even if they are strictly reef driven.

#3 ·
Thank you, I will have to check that one out. Any other ones worth checking out? I'm going to Minnesota on Friday.

#5 ·
Thanks for another suggestion. I'm leaving tomorrow and will have to check out both of those stores.

#6 · (Edited)
Another area store (with a confusingly similar name to Tropiquatics) is Aquatropics, in nearby Crystal, MN. It's an pretty good store, they do have a decent selection of native fish, and they have some cool, old "Metaframe" tanks from the 60s, I think they have a full 55 gal setup with tank, stank, and hood, which is pretty neat. (It doesn't have fish in it, just on display, maybe for sale?) Other than that, I wasn't particularly impressed with that store.

My favorite shop in the area is definitely World of Fish. It's just what you want in a fish store, floor to ceiling tanks, nice displays, plants, fish, great selection of every variety. Its just a maze of aquariums to walk through, mostly freshwater, but also some great saltwater rooms, too. If you only make it to one shop, make it this one.

All these stores; Tropiquatics, Aquatropics, and World of Fish have websites that are just their name, plus a ".com" for addresses and hours.

Also, I was going to be going to Minneapolis this weekend and stopping in at WoF on Saturday, but something else came up, perhaps I would have been able to see you there! However, I will not be able to make it there, and so I will say here what I would have said to you then...I think that the Bill Hicks quote in your signature is supposed to be "consciousness *experiencing* itself subjectively". ;) And I'm very impressed by your tank and outdoor water garden, they're beautiful!

#7 ·
Ha ha. Thanks for the suggestions and good catch on the Bill Hicks quote. It has been wrong for the last 3 years and you're the only one to catch it. I knew word for word what he said but must have typed it wrong. Also thanks for the compliments on my tank and pond.

#8 ·
I just got back from Minnesota yesterday and I had a chance to go to World of Fish. Very nice selection of fish. They have a ton of older/discontinued stuff in the back that was very reasonably priced. I could have spent more time in the store but the wife and kids were getting impatient. I really wish I could have brought some fish home as they had some nice looking rasbora kubotai and some cool harder to find plecos. If I would have went there on the last day of the trip I would have got them.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. We had a great time in Minnesota and the family wants to come back next year for vacation. Next time we will head up north farther and spend some time in Duluth. The Minnesota zoo was nice and the Mall of America was impressive but a 10 hour day there and my legs felt like I ran a marathon.

#11 ·
I should have stopped over and got a photography, aquascaping and controller building lessons. I used to have some friends that lived in Apple Valley some years ago. This was the third time I have been to Minnesota and the first time for my wife. I have always enjoyed it. I was thinking about going to UMD when I was looking at colleges.

#12 ·
I'm glad you enjoyed your visit...Duluth and the North Shore area are a great place to visit, they have a nice public aquarium (especially for being way out in northern MN), which would be fun for both you and the kids. Also, Gooseberry State Park, a bit north of Duluth, which is one of, or the most visited parks in the state, is home to Gooseberry Falls, which you can walk around in safely, and hike up to other sets of falls, a great park all around, camp, or rent a cabin, or stay in nearby hotels/lodges...Keep on coming back to Minnesota... ;)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.