Brackish popularity?
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > General Planted Tank Discussion

Old 04-07-2013, 10:05 PM   #1
Soup12
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (66/97%)

Brackish popularity?

I am assuming most people are iether just SW or FW. How popular is brackish?
Soup12 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-07-2013, 10:14 PM   #2
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soup12 View Post
I am assuming most people are iether just SW or FW. How popular is brackish?
I wish there were more interest. I have extensively researched different kinds of mangrove plants suitable for aquarium growing and I've tried to explain about them a few times, but always with very little response. They include some really cool plants.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-07-2013, 11:30 PM   #3
zoo minsi
Planted Member

PTrader: (4/100%)

from a plant aspect brackish might be cool to check out but it seems that there aren't a lot of fish to choose from and some of those get rather large. With that said, i could see doing a small brackish tank to play around, for say puffers or bee gobies. However i could never justify anything above a 20. There's just so much more i could do in a large tank going with either straight freshwater or saltwater. That's just my thought on it though, but would love to see some brackish tanks others have set up.
zoo minsi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 12:54 AM   #4
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

One of my future projects is a brackish mummichog and mangrove tank. I got interested in the fish quite by accident, but I quite enjoy them and would love to do a species tank and get them to breed. Plant-wise, I have Java ferns that won't mind the salinity (even if they are breaking the North American biotope idea), and I recently acquired elodea and sagittaria that may also adapt to brackish water. Hydrophyte here has been invaluable in suggesting interesting plant species, even if my innate black thumbs mean that not all of them grow for me. (I can kill mint, moss, duckweed, and cacti. The weird part is where I keep trying.)
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #5
Bruce_S
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)

Chibiaie, you might take a peek at sheepshead killies as well as the mummichogs. Not sure how familiar you are with them, but they're a bit similar to desert pupfish - smaller and chunkier than mummies, the males color up with a rusty-orange belly and bright blue spangles at the shoulder. Both sexes have an attractive blotched pattern. If you go to this link and scroll down, there are a couple of exceptional photos of males:

http://02e7413.netsolhost.com/killielifecycle.html

At the public aquarium where I work weekends, I've seen males of both species defending a patch of egg-laden sand from all comers in the springtime.

~Bruce
Bruce_S is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 02:35 AM   #6
Knotyoureality
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (9/100%)

The Planted Tank, though it's got pockets of folks with other interests, is pretty much focused on plants--and there simply aren't that many plants readily available that do well in brackish conditions. Happily, a number of hobbyist and suppliers like Hydrophyte (yeah!) are changing that, but there's still a lot working against it.

My aquatic wish journal includes sketches for a number of different brackish systems, but until I've got room for multiple tanks (I prefer to have a backup tank for any set up I do--allows for quarantine, temp holding during re-scapes, emergencies, experimentation, etc), it's gonna' have to wait.
Knotyoureality is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 06:43 AM   #7
hydrophyte
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (143/100%)

Cyprinodon variegatus are really entertaining and active fish and you could keep a pair of them in a 15-gallon tank.

Also consider bumblebee goby for a small tank.

I hope to try some empire gudgeons some day... http://www.seriouslyfish.com/species...ris-compressa/

It's late now but I will try to post some details about mangrove plants tomorrow.
hydrophyte is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-08-2013, 06:49 AM   #8
FisheriesOmen
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (10/100%)

I had brackish for a while but then I changed it to full saltwater macro algae tank. I would do brackish again but I've started over with my tanks so many times that I just gotta stick with it and get another 20 long to do it again. Wish I woulda know about the bumble bee fish hydrophyte! Might've kept it brackish

Oh and there are actually a surprising amount of FW plants that can transition into brackish.
The Fraternity of Dirt #97Just because its dirt doesn't make it low tech

Emersed tUB clUB #17
FisheriesOmen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 12:09 AM   #9
chibikaie
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)

Hmm, I started looking into the C. variegatus, but it sounds like they might be a little too territorial for my liking. My surviving two mummies are not the most robust, nor the most aggressive feeders (I have to feed until the guppies look like they're going to explode to ensure that the mummies get their share).

Some of the plants that I am looking at don't seem to be commonly traded in our section of the internet, so I've been looking at getting seeds of terrestrial bog plants and going riparium style instead.
chibikaie is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 06:32 AM   #10
Lupine
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)

I kept a 55 gallon brackish with mangroves and mudskippers. I really enjoyed it. I would like to do a tank for monos and scats and maybe archers as they are really interesting fish, but they get really big and require a huge tank. I also want to keep Anableps. Brackish is a neat niche, but everything I want to do in it requires more space than I have.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-09-2013, 07:17 AM   #11
Fishermike
Planted Member

PTrader: (9/100%)

Just got to throw a shout out to the chromides, both green and orange. Yes, there is such a thing as a brackish, dwarf cichlid. Oh, yeah, and they're Asian, too. Definitely an oddity. Been many years since I've seen one, but nice fish. Used to be pretty common, not sure what happened to them.

Oh yeah, sticklebacks, too! And pickle weed! Brackish is limiting, but very cool, too. I'm a fan!i
Fishermike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-10-2013, 08:13 AM   #12
mayanjungledog
Geek

PTrader: (62/100%)

I just got into brackish, starting up a 40B mudskipper tank with some plants from Hydrophyte. Right now, there's just some bumblebee gobies and some rice fish. Hoping for Indian Mudskippers in the next few weeks.
mayanjungledog is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 01:04 AM   #13
Kirbybtf
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Default Re: Brackish popularity?

I have a 55g brackish set up right now. Very interestingly stocked as well. 1 map turtle, 1 flounder, 1 red claw crab, 3 bumble bee gobies. This Friday I'm picking up at least 7 more bee gobies, a dragon goby, and a knight goby. Goby inspired tank, can you tell? :P it's very simple right now as I'm still stocking it but I have some drift wood soaking that will go in soon. Here's a picture of it at the moment, will update will more when I get my new fish.
Believe it or not, the map turtle leaves all my fish alone. The key is to keep get well fed, she's on hey basking platform most of the time anyways.
I'm going to plant it this weekend as well, mostly ferns but going to see what my LFS has that can handle the salt.
Sent from my XT907 using Tapatalk 2
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365638593324.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	122938  

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1365638663235.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	45.6 KB
ID:	122946  

7.5g Mr Aqua bowfront
1/2g Reef Vase
Kirbybtf is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-11-2013, 02:17 AM   #14
scapegoat
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hydrophyte View Post
I wish there were more interest. I have extensively researched different kinds of mangrove plants suitable for aquarium growing and I've tried to explain about them a few times, but always with very little response. They include some really cool plants.
sell me on setting up my 20g as a brackish tank once I move the contents of the current set up to the 125. and by sell me, i mean a brackish package.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.