The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Setup Help

820 views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  zander 
#1 ·
I've just bought a new 47G tank and I'm planning to use it as a planted tank. Due to time/space restraints I will have to put the fish from my old tank into the new one almost straight away. Any advice on the best substrate to use, preferably one that doesn't leach ammonia due to having to put the fish in it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

#2 ·
I'd just avoid any that are known to leach substantial amounts of ammonia (I think the ADA one? -not certain).
And make sure you transfer your existing filter media, and what you can of plants/substrate.

What were you thinking of? As far as I know, stuff like Flourite, Eco-Complete, SafeTsorb, OilDri, are all pretty inert, and won't leach anything.

Adding Dirt may leach ammonia, but it depends on what type of dirt you use, and (I think), how you cap it.

#3 ·
Of course the simplest and cheapest is playsand or pool filter sand. Both completely inert, just make sure you rinse it well.

If your doing a immediate change over I would make sure to use the same filter media so you add some good bacteria to the tank. Also some fast growing plants to help with ammonia.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.