The Planted Tank Forum banner

Thinking about going pressurized co2...where do I start?

568 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Left C 
#1 ·
where to buy, what brand regulator, what parts required?...what's a solenoid and what for? what does each part do and for wut purpose?

I've come up with azoo, milwukee, rex's brand..and rex's got just nothing but good reviews..wut about azoo or milwukee? they reliable as well?

anything..anything will help. Thanks

#2 · (Edited)
http://www.njagc.net/articles/co2.htm

The link above is a great place to start and will explain and show you all of the various components.
After you have read through the info contact either Segio (SuRje1976) or Mike (Momotaro) at SuMo regulators, Rex Griggs, or Green Leaf Aquariums (Orlando) for further info and to purchase. I bought my regulator from SuMo so I can personally recommend them based on experience but all three of these sources are excellent choices.

#3 ·
The basic componants are regulator, needlevalve, solenoid, bubble counter and then a device to disperse the gas in the aquarium which is either a reactor or diffusor, or a variant of either one.

Needle valves control the amount of gas coming out of the regulator into the line. People often measure this by the number of bubbles passing thru the line as seen in a bubble counter, (a see thru container filled with water or a clear liquid so you can count the number of bubbles per second or per minute)

A Solenoid is an electric shut off valve. When it plugged into an electrical outlet, it opens the co2 line, when it has no power it closes it. You plug it into a power strip attached to a timer to go on and off with your lights. Do you have to have a solenoid? NO. Some people use them, some people do not. Plants only use the C02 when the light are on, but there is no harm in leaving the C02 running 24/7.

Solenoids became more widely used when they became included with a low cost regulator like the Milwaukee.

The biggest difference betwee Rex's and Orlandos home assembled regulators and low cost regulators such as the Milwaukee or AZOO is the quality of the needle valve. These guys use needle valves that have much finer ajustment. Do you really for all practical purposes need fine ajustment? Some people say yes, some people say no.

The difference between reactors and diffusors. Which is better? The answer to this will also differ depending on who you talk to. A reactor basicaly is a device either inside the aquarim or outside the aquarium that mixes gas with water and pumps the water into the aquarium. A diffusor either bubbles the gas into the water like an airstone, or it holds the C02 bubble long enough for it to come into contact with water, such as the "ladder" or the membrane diffusor, or the bell.

If you want to go real high tech, you attach the solenoid to a pH controller. This signals the solenoid to shut off when enough C02 is added to the aquarium for the target pH to be reached, and turns it on again when the pH rises as the plants use the C02. This keep the pH and C02 level pretty constant.

Personaly, in my somewhat biased opinion, I think reactors are far superior to diffusors, and I think I have found a good regulator that is in between the low end and high end, but the best choice for you depends on the size of your aquarium, how much money you can spend and how much time you want to spend wth it. You want plug and play, hook it up and forget it, or something to tinker with.

#4 ·
If you want to go real high tech, you attach the solenoid to a pH controller. This signals the solenoid to shut off when enough C02 is added to the aquarium for the target pH to be reached, and turns it on again when the pH rises as the plants use the C02. This keep the pH and C02 level pretty constant.
just want to comment on this:
DO IT!!!!! i LOVE my ph controller. i highly reccomend them. it is the best thing for your fish (no ph flux during the day that happens with timers). it is also one less test tube to shake. all you need to do for maintanence is callibrate every few monthes with nuetral water.

#5 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.