The Planted Tank Forum banner

newbie C02 question in a low tech. I did research...

870 views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  jbjack 
#1 ·
Okay so I have a 30g planted tank and it's going good, minus stag horn algae here and there. I'm using ferts and getting the hang of things. I have cfl with reflectors running about 2.5 watts per gallon. I want to add c02 and like this approach 3/4 cup sugar 1/4 teaspoon yeast in a bottle using airline tubing and a chop stick. My question is how do I know this is enough c02 and as I understand it should only be run with lights on, how do I do That?

Thanks.

#2 ·
2.5 watts per gallon tells nothing about how much light you have. Are the bulbs vertical above the tank or horizontal, and how high above the substrate are the bulbs? I assume you have three 23 watt bulbs?

With DIY CO2, unless you use a lot of bottles, you don't need to worry about having too much CO2 in the water, so there is no good reason to shut off the CO2 during the lights off period, and very good reason to run it 24 hours a day.

#3 ·
Yes 3, 23 watt cfls (6500k) in reflectors sitting directly on the glass top of the tank. the lights are 15 - 15 1/2 inches(depending on what area of the tank) above the top of the substrate (sand) they are on for 9 hours a day (8:30am to 5:30pm) and are otherwise in a dark, no Windows room. I guess a concern is will this be enough c02 to make a difference? Is it worth it? Should I run 2 of them?

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.