The Planted Tank Forum banner

10 Gallon Low Tech Rock Scape-RCS Tank-Update 7-10-10

19K views 50 replies 25 participants last post by  talontsiawd 
#1 · (Edited)
Specs:
-Marina 10 Gallon Tank (top is rimless out the box)
-Zoo Med 501 Canister Filter
-Ebay Lily Pipes (broke inlet so zoo med intake for now)
-Tetra Heater in PVC Piping Inline
-DIY Clip on CFL light-23 Wattx2

Plants
-HC

Fish
-5 Red Cherry Shrimp

Pics:

See less See more
#32 ·
Thanks. It took awhile to fill in but not as long as you would think. I have had the HC for years now and this has been in low light, no co2 for a while. I don't know if it has "adapted" over the years. I will say that when I transferred it originally from my high light/co2 tank, it didn't do to well at first but did recover.

The tank also gets some sunlight so I don't really know how much light it gets. I will say that I have not seen a single speck of algae for the life of the tank, even though the tank next to it with lower light has algae issues (was accidentally introduced when I bought plants). It's just a lot of luck.

Thanks, sorry for the long post, I have been typing all day lol.

#33 ·
Do you think the ~60 watts accounts for the HC growth? I'm planning a low tech soon, and I'm going back and forth between HC (now that I've seen you do it) or fissidens fontanus.

After reading the Amano Lighting study, it looks like your tank falls right in line with the amount of light Amano would use, which is way above what anybody would use following the WPG rule of thumb.

Two 23-watt CFLs are marketed as almost 200 watts of light -- that's really bright!

#34 ·
First off, CFL's are pretty much the wattage they actually are if going by watts per gallon as you are comparing them to a T-8 florescent bulb, not an incandescent bulb. So it is no where near equivalent to 200 watts of florescent light. A member on the board, Hoppy did some tests with a par meter and found that they actually put out less light than their real wattage compared to a T-8 tube. So it is probably pretty close to a 40 watt florecent fixtures, about 2 wpg.

Secondly, I have the lights raised. My other 10 gallon with 10 watt x2 CFL's had a bit of algae before. I set it up again and it has a ton but that was introduced accidentally from some plants.

Photo period is important as well. You can run way more light on a 4-5 hour photo period than if you were going to do 8-10, which I prefer as I work at home.

I really don't think HC needs high light. I will tell you it is fragile coming straight from the store as it is probably pond grown. It doesn't transistion well from CO2 to non-CO2 either. If you dry start or let it adapt, you should be fine. I recommend dry starting as it is a pain to plant, even if it is just to let it root, you don't have to wait for it to spread. Then fill your tank up a bit each day, rather than all at once. It has worked for me this way in very low light. I had 16 watts total of CFL and it grew fine, just very slowly and this was without any CO2.

Long post. I would just say I got lucky on this tank and found the balance of light vs. photo period vs. plant growth vs. animals that eat algae. I wouldn't chalk how easy this tank is to knowing what I am doing, though I had a good idea that it would work and I could adjust the light up another 8 inches if I had to.

#36 ·
For dry start, CO2 isn't an issue as it will adapt from sumersed to emered, then back when you fill the tank. I have been very successful when adding 1/4 an inch of water per day when I feel it is ready, maybe less. Once it is a few inches under, just fill it. That shouldn't tank more than a week.

I think 2-3 weeks is fine dry starting if you are not trying to take advantage of growth. I would suggest planting deep if you plan to fill sooner as this ensures little will come up. I have done a few tanks with HC and I am usually using trimming and just drop them all over the place. In this case, double that time.

PM me if you would like some HC out of this tank. I got some just floating off the top and part could use a trim. I don't know how much I will have, probably about a golf ball size or more. That would be about what I started with on a few 10 gallon scapes and it grew in pretty quick. I need some small leafed plants, green prefered but any color works if you got some, or paypal me shipping ($7 will work).

#41 ·
Your tank looks so natural with algae on the rocks compared to high tech iwagumi tanks. Sometime Iwagumi tanks looks like fake, as if everything has been done just for the photo shooting...too clean, too well organised and establish...

My planted tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2076-Pri.html
My Cichlid tank http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/myTanks/2075-Pri.html
My DIY project Journal http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/t...88-125g-pond-river-waterfall-diy-project.html
My Betta Pico http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/planted-nano-tanks/122780-black-white-planted-pico.html

#44 ·
Your tank looks so natural with algae on the rocks compared to high tech iwagumi tanks. Sometime Iwagumi tanks looks like fake, as if everything has been done just for the photo shooting...too clean, too well organised and establish...

I think it is more those particular rocks, I have had other rocks that stay the color they were, not sure why but I like them. I paid like 10 cents a pound or something too.

Thanks everyone for the compliments. I kind of got bored of the natural and am trying a dutch tank. I didn't realize how much work it is going to be. I may do another rock scape, my girlfriend wants a tank and I have everything but the substrate and the tank for a 20L/29. I may do that at her place.

#48 ·
Hate to bump an ancient thread, but just had to say WOW

I have not had the chance to have a tank of any kind in the last two years because of issues.But after seeing this and few others Iwagumi style, I have been talking to a buddy that has an extra 10g,and hob he will give me, to get started again.

Your post has been an inspiration for me to get back into the hobby again!

:proud:

#50 ·
nice! like the tank, looks like its been discontinued? You weren't running CO2 on this set up with 2x 23W CFL's? I was thinking I was going to stick with 2x13W CFL's in the 10gal I'm setting up, but the way your HC grew in maybe I should go 2x23W and do HC in there... I have some in my 55 gal that hasn't done that great (I think mostly because my cory cats tear it up when searching for food, but I'm battling algae on there I think due to too high of light and no CO2).

#51 ·
This tank was an experiment to me. When people say a plant absolutely needs CO2 to thrive, I take that as a challenge.

If I were going to recommend a route to go, I would likely start with 2x15ish (13-15 watt, whatever bulb you like) for the first few weeks and see what happens. Then step up to the 23 watt (they even have bigger now, didn't then).

I honestly don't know if I could repeat this tank or not. I have considered buying another 10 gallon since I have a hood for it but I would have to take down my little mini bowl in my sig to do so. I have the substrate, light and rocks, the only issue is the filter, my canister is overkill, can't use a HOB because it would be in my home recording studio.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.