The Planted Tank Forum banner

75 gallons of zen

2K views 10 replies 4 participants last post by  SouthernGorilla 
#1 ·
We just bought this tank this past Sunday. We are busy finalizing the plans for how to 'scape and stock it.

Attachments

See less See more
#5 ·
Watched this video and liked the design of the media;
http://youtu.be/JFXJaRDfR1w

So I ordered 4.4 pounds of the Biohome Ultra from these guys. Should have ordered at least three times as much. Hardly looks like anything in the sump. Even with the ceramic rings I added I still had room left for most of the bio-balls the Biohome was supposed to replace. Still, it's better than nothing and undoubtedly better than the bioballs. Just so much more surface area. I will probably order more in a couple weeks so I can fully convert the sump.

I added the little gel balls of starter bacteria as well. No idea how long they will take to populate the tank. But that should give me a decent start. I ordered extra bacteria gels just in case.

I also added some blackworms from an LFS. Those are fun to watch wiggling around in the substrate. I wonder how long they'll last when we finally stock the tank.

Eager to move the fish from their temporary home to their new estate. But don't want to do it until the water clears. No sense killing everything because I got impatient.

#7 ·
The fish are currently in a 5g jug in the kitchen. We have to do almost daily water changes due to no plants and no filtration. The plan was to get the 75 up and running then move the fish. But the 75 is not cooperating. I don't want to move them and have them all wiped out by some spike during the cycle.

We were looking at the 75 the other day and thinking it really isn't that big. I think my wife and I are both fish junkies. We could probably build a 1,000 gallon tank and still find an excuse to go bigger.

#9 ·
Buy the 130... then buy a new house better suited to the aquarium. You have your priorities mixed up.

We've got some plants already. A big sword to help hide the foam that hides the overflow. Some corkscrew vallisneria. Something called red temple. Some sort of pennywort. Some crypto. Another plant I can't remember. It was hanging under a "hairgrass" tag but it is definitely not hairgrass. And a couple banana plants. I have a thing for banana plants. May need therapy. Or medication.

#10 ·

Here it is with plants and whatnot. The rocks on the wood to the right are just to hold the wood down. Apparently it didn't soak enough. I'll reposition those rocks once the wood is firmly anchored.

I've added some microswords since this picture was taken. That will be the "carpet" for the tank.

Odd that almost none of the fish are visible. We currently have 12 serpae tetras, 4 glass catfish, 8 neon tetras, 3 cories, 2 loaches of a forgotten variety, 1 hillstream loach, 4 nerites, 1 apple snail, and a bunch of ghost shrimp. The neons don't seem to be doing well. Not sure if we'll replace them. We do need more glass cats though. Haven't seen the hillstream loach in several days. Worried that he's found his way into the plumbing.

#11 ·
Wow, has it really been almost five years since we set this up? Good times. Pretty much everything has changed. Need to get a current pic.

Had a recent outbreak of cyanobacteria brought on by the failing light. Splurged a bit and bought a used Current Satellite+ Pro LED light for it. Absolutely phenomenal light, plan to get one for the 20g Betta tank now.

Lots of different plants, new fish. Really want to change the sump to work better for freshwater but just don't have the money for equipment right now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.