The Planted Tank Forum banner

29 gallon Anubias/Java fern Tank

25K views 95 replies 38 participants last post by  NYCaqua 
#1 · (Edited)
Hello i been a long term hobbyist keeping tanks for over 10 years. I have been working on this low tech Anubias/Java fern tank for about the last 4 months or so. Its still a work in progress as i have not gathered all the anubias petite i would like for the foreground. I need approximately 25-30 more to fill the foreground in a compact manner. If anyone knows of good places to get some anubias petites please do share.

Here are a couple of views of the tank.

Additional Tank details:

Filtration- Eheim classic 2215-37 + Aquaclear 30

Lighting- Current USA satellite LED plus and Current USA single ramp time (Sunrise begins at 11:30am and sunset begins at 10:30pm)

Feeding- Elos sv.B pellet, Elos Spirulina plus pellet, Omega One Super color flakes, Hikari Mini Algae Wafers, Hikari Frozen brine shrimp, Hikari frozen spirulina Brine shrimp, Hikari Frozen bloodworms (twice a week flakes and pellets are supplemented with vita-chem for more vitamins prior to the weeks water change).

Fertilization- Flourish excel, Flourish iron, Flourish trace, Flourish Comprehensive supplements, Microbe-lift bloom and grow.

Water changes- 30% on Tuesday and 50% on Fridays along with Seachem Prime.

See less See more
#3 ·
Well majority of it is held down by sinkers and the anubias that have rooted strongly have their roots submerged only. I make sure all the rhizomes are not submerged. The petites are the most difficult to plant as they took a while to develop strong roots and i am not aware of sinkers that tiny being sold.

#9 ·
Slowly getting there. It will be a very expensive adventure but a very worthwhile one. I got each petite for 5 dollars. Having 12 of them which are true petites at that, when many sellers usually send you something that is not a true petite. If you know of any respectable sources to buy some at a fair price please pass along the info.

#13 ·
I have always stocked my tanks fairly high in fish. But all the fishes i have are small. The largest ones does not exceed 3 inches and majority are 1 inch- 1.5 inches. The Electric Blue ram trio that i want to add will be the largest fish in the tank by a long shot in terms of body shape and bioload. Plants do a pretty good job in helping filter stuff out i might add :icon_bigg I test my water prior to every water change and nitrates never exceed 0.5ppm.

#15 ·
How many plants (separate rhizomes) do you have in there?! So much lush plants! I hope my 10 gallon gets that dense some day, I'm too cheap to buy 3x more plants to fill it in so just letting it grow out slowly.
Beautiful simplicity for plant layout btw!

#19 ·
Why thank you for the compliment. It was a slow process to get the roots to grow to where i would of liked so i could bury things the way i wanteed and keep the anubias packed in an attractive way. I think the most important thing is to provide medium light, dose a lot, and 2 water changes per week!

#20 · (Edited)
Small update. I did a little bit of trimming on the larger anubias leaves that were old and starting to not look as good as the new ones. But have a lot of leaves coming along so it will soon fill out. Was able to take a video after the water change today. I recorded on my cell phone and i am not the best person when it comes to recording so bear with me.

#30 ·
nice additions and update!

as i mentioned earlier, you have inspired me to get some planted in the substrate. got some small ones from petsmart (ie not petites) and the trick has been to keep them planted while not burying the rhizome.....seems overnight they become floaters :eek5:

i'm on to your sinker approach, lol...

educational thread, thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.