The Planted Tank Forum banner

Can Someone Please Tell Me Why My Plants Are Sucking?

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  junglefowl 
#1 ·
Greetings my fellow plant growers (or in my case algae grower)! I moved from a 15 high to a 20 high about three months ago, ordered a bunch of sweet plants, got the good substrate (I think...:icon_redf), tried to do it all right from the get go this time. Well... My plants & moss are not dead, so thats good, but they are very sick and stagnant. I am seeing new growth, but the crypts are melting, anubias is super stagnant, cabomba won't even grow, and my freaking amazon swords are even barely hangin in there.. :icon_eek:

Here is some (beautiful) photos to put my words into a better understanding...

Classic Tank Shot:

Sick Anubias Nana:

Sick Swords:

Sick Crypt Parva with EVIL SNAIL that I think might be the cause? Anyone?:

But, at least my fish are happy and healthy :fish: :

Ok so I finally got the energy to make a thread to inquire the help of TPT forum. So, what do you guys think I should do/not do? Ask questions about my setup as I know you will..

Thanks, and hey, happy fishkeepin' :)

See less See more
#2 ·
WellI can only guess that you have a very malnourished tank...

you should also pull those anubias up a bit so the rhizomes sits above the substrate...

crypt melting is rather normal when first planting, if all is well, they will grow new submersed leaves. as for the amazon swords, they probably need a root tab...

#4 ·
WellI can only guess that you have a very malnourished tank...

you should also pull those anubias up a bit so the rhizomes sits above the substrate...

crypt melting is rather normal when first planting, if all is well, they will grow new submersed leaves. as for the amazon swords, they probably need a root tab...
Couldn't have said it better, your anubias are sitting too deep in the substrate. Leaving it too deep in the substrate will cause the anubia roots to rot. Good luck!

#9 ·
If you can post more about the tank that would help:
What kind of light (lots of details) and how long it is on
What kind of substrate and what additives
Are you adding any fertilizer?
Are you adding carbon?
What are the water parameters:
Ammonia
Nitrite
Nitrate
GH
KH
pH
TDS
Any other tests you have

#10 ·
light and substrate info needed at the very least. also, what is your livestock and feeding schedule? Your plant selection should do fine on fish waste and leftover food. That said, the Anubias are too deep. tie em to a rock and set em on the substrate. Parva grow slower than any plant I have ever had. Finally, leave the snail/snails, they will help clean up dead and decaying matter.

#12 ·
Substrate - Activ-Flora (16lbs) + 5lbs fancy plant substrate

DIY lights - 2x 23w 6500k + 18w 8000k T8

Parameters are all normal (healthy) pH: 7.5

Sometimes I dose flourish, but it seems to cause algae

Filter - Tetra HOB whisper 30

Fish- 6x Harlequin Rasboras 5x Neon Tetras

Water changes 50% ~once every 11 days

#13 ·
If your 23 watt 6500K bulbs are the screw-in CFL bulbs, mounted horizontally above the tank, and have good reflectors, and they are right at the top of the tank, those alone will be giving you good low light, around a PAR 30 to 35 range. But, if they are raised more than 3 inches above the top of the tank, or don't have good reflectors, you probably barely have enough light for the plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.