The Planted Tank Forum banner

Ghost shrimp?

3K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  eco 
#1 ·
Eh Hawaiians, you guys know if that clear shrimp in the brackish ponds are ghost shrimp? You know the ones people catch and use as bait for aholehole's. I think it's call shidasa (Japanese)

#2 ·
The name "ghost shrimp" applies to an entire genus name 'Palamonetes'. There are both brackish and fresh water species. I do believe that ghost shrimp can survive small amounts of salinity but if you are finding clear shrimp in blatantly brakish water, I do not think they are the common ghost shrimp you can buy at Coral Fish. What were you planning on using them for? Bait?

#3 ·
No not bait but a lot of fishermen in Hilo do use them as bait. I caught about 10 and dropped them in my plant only tank in my garage hoping thay would control the algae. They didn't eat the hair algae but I'm sure theyre eating something in there. Also they survived pretty well in an all freshwater tank. The only reason why they died is because the tank sprang a leak and they couldn't handle a fresh uncycled tank. I am getting more this week since the new "garage" tank is now cycled.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.