The Planted Tank Forum banner

Cycling Fluval spec V

3K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  jrh 
#1 ·
Hi everyone! I've done some research but still can't figure out the best way to cycle my Fluval spec V. Could someone help me?

Fluval Spec V
Finnex Fugeray
Fluval Stratum
No C02

Do more people prefer the traditional nitrogen cycle, then add plants and fish after it is cycled? I've also read how heavily planting the aquarium right off the bat is okay too to do it even quicker. But I've also read that plants could make the cycle last longer since it takes care of ammonia itself?

Also, any advice to keep algae levels as low as possible while setting up the aquarium?

Any input is appreciated, thanks in advance!

#2 · (Edited)
Congratulations on your purchases!

The planted folks know more about this, so they'll have to weigh in.

1. Old School -- you put fish in and hoped they lived. This was usually done with hard fish like danios.

2. Fishless Cycling -- you add an ammonia source, let the let bacteria establish their colonies. This can be greatly speeded by "seeding" it with a bit if filter material when you start, and about 4 days later. You know you're done when you're reading nitrates,
and the amount of ammonia you add has been processed within a day. Then you're ready for a big water change and fish.

3. Newfangled no cycling -- If you have a heavily planted tank, often the plants can handle the fauna wastes all their own, thus there is no need for a traditional cycle. I believe this traditionally used to reduce the nitrates in the water, but maybe nitrites and ammonia as well.

Someone please jump in. Amnesia + ambien is probably making this completely incomprehensible.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.