Low Tech Tank Show-and-Tell (low tech can be lush, too! =) - Page 95
Planted Tank Forums
Your Tanks Image Hosting *Tank Tracker * Plant Profiles Fish Profiles Planted Tank Guide Photo Gallery Articles

Go Back   The Planted Tank Forum > General Planted Tank Forums > Low Tech Forum

Old 12-01-2014, 02:13 AM   #1411
Greggz

PTrader: (0/0%)

This is my 120 gallon Rainbow Tank.

I consider it a fish tank with plants, not really a planted tank.

Thinking of going CO2 and going to next step, but my set up is really easy to care for now.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1110631.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	103.3 KB
ID:	397354
Greggz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #1412
BigJay180
Planted Member

180 gallon
Eheim Pro2, Fluval FX6, Hydor inline
Lights are one 48" T8 plant light, and two 36" T5HO fixtures with three bulbs each (two 6500K and one 650nm red)
Fish: Various Rainbows and Harlequin Rasboras.
Ferts: One EI dry fert NPK dose weekly after a 60% water change, micros the day after. Sometimes I'll do a 50% EI NPK dose mid week.
CO2: Excel maintenance dose daily every night.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	397346  

BigJay180 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-01-2014, 05:53 PM   #1413
mattjm20
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
I went extremely low tech with it. The lighting is 1x39w on for five hours a day with no CO2 and ferts once every ten days or so.

Lots of root tabs and tap water top offs once a week with water changes about once every 45-60 days.

I dose Excel once or twice a week and feed the fish about three times a week. I do get a little BBA from time to time but I clip the leaf and go on.

I've thought about breaking this down and starting over again but it's so easy keeping this going. The tank is almost two years old now and I wish I would've put a little more thought into the layout on the front end but this was my first planted tank and it's been a valuable learning tool.

Thanks for looking and thanks for starting a post like this.
I can't believe you have such good growth with that level of lighting and short photo period. That is awesome, congrats. Don't worry too much about the layout... no, it's not some crazy dutch scape but it looks very cool. I've got a 90G with MGOPS and 4 T5HO (I don't run all four all day because I'd have algae issues) that is considerably less lush than this. RE: tank to tank comparison, I think I need new bulbs because I started with stock T5's and also the distance from the surface to the plants is much different than a 40B. But again, this is an awesome tank. I'd put a pair of apistos in there to breed and call it a day
mattjm20 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-07-2014, 11:52 AM   #1414
Saxtonhill
Planted Tank Obsessed

I so enjoy revisiting this thread to see all the creative ideas! Such lovely tanks! And great discussions on what worked and what didn't work.
Old 12-17-2014, 04:11 PM   #1415
mesohorny
Algae Grower

doesn't seem to compare to most on here, but I figured i'd share my low tech tank.

27g cube, estimated PAR of 30 at the level of the substrate. dose excel flourish daily, Fe and trace after weekly changes of roughly 20%

a young tank, running for 2 months. various Crypts with some Ludwigia stems. still working out the details on livestock; just a few tetras and RCS now, looking to focus on invertebrates, but still learning about what all is compatible. also combating hydra ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	tank 12 12.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	109.4 KB
ID:	404778  

mesohorny is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.