The Planted Tank Forum banner

Zachary908's OEBT shrimp tank.*Update* 4/7/12

39K views 465 replies 35 participants last post by  Tiger 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I purchased a used all in one 5 gallon bow front tank for a whopping $5 at my work. Replaced the stock filter bad with a poly bio filter. I also got a sponge pre filter off of an established system at work to hook up to the intake.

I know these tanks aren't the best, but since I replaced the filter I think it will do just fine.

I will probably be doing weekly water changes as well.

I went ahead and set it up without substrate today, so it is cycling currently with the established pre filter a handful of established bio balls. A ball of Xmas moss, and some baby water lettuce.

This will be a slow set up I'm in no hurry and I'm taking my time.

I will be placing an order tomorrow for some shrimp food, and some fluval stratum.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Filtration system

Top opened

FTS

See less See more
#74 ·
idk for sure. ive been trying to fin them. it can be like a fews years total to do it right before digging it up. but things like digging a trench in a circle around the tree (cutting all the roots in the trench as well), and filling it with peat, to create feeder roots closer to the tree. because otherwise, youll have feeder roots that are 5 ft away and only heavy roots that are for anchoring real close. things like that. and then i would actually do the trunk chop in the ground before i dig it up. to make the recoup faster

#75 ·
Well, I went to take pictures of my new shrimp with the "Higher quality camera" Turns out it completely sucks for taking pictures of shrimp.... I'm not sure why. My little sony seems to have a better focus, and I always though it was crap! Anyway, I took some more with my sony, here they are!

#76 ·
looks great! they are such cool shrimp. i wouldnt say the P&P is better. but i think you just have to work on your setttings for the DSLR. and stand farther back and use the zoom. because most lenses have a focusing distance.. idk i could be wrong

#78 ·
Thanks, I love them! *shrug* You are probably right, Bob. I'm just camera stupid as you can tell from my pictures... :hihi: I need some practice. And I need to learn how to use all the settings on the camera.

mulberry bonsai
OMG That is amazing, I wonder how long it took to grow that!

#79 ·
you probably already read about this, but most bonsai are grown from trees that are allowed to grow freely, then trunk chopped to reduce the height and give it taper. from a series of chops and over a few years, you get this tree that looks 50 years old, in relatively a short time ( 5yrs?)

#103 ·
Haha, I wish it was a mature female! My little guys aren't breeder size just yet.

Zachary: if you have a DSRL camera but are not sure how to use it for photographing tanks you should definitely check out some of speedie408's threads. People seem to ask him how he takes his pictures in every single thread and he provides some tips and some good links to guides and articles.
Haha, thanks for the suggestion! Speedie has been helping me out. :)

#102 ·
Zachary: if you have a DSRL camera but are not sure how to use it for photographing tanks you should definitely check out some of speedie408's threads. People seem to ask him how he takes his pictures in every single thread and he provides some tips and some good links to guides and articles.

#109 ·
You guys need to stop talking about me behind my back! :p

I don't think Elmo wants anything to do with me since anything attached to the brand "Canon" will trigger his gag reflex. Lol *kidding*

[/shameless plug] As far as a Calender, I am currently working on one for 2012. Look out for it soon guys. ;)

#112 ·
*GASP* your a cannon person? EHH BLECH! gross!.... guess elmo taught me a few things about canon ppl :iamwithst

haha all jokes and fake hatred aside, ill be waiting for that calendar!
Once I get some free time, I can def do a write up for you folks who have DSLRs, an off shoe flash, and a macro lense.

that would be sick!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.