The Planted Tank Forum banner

Zachary908's OEBT shrimp tank.*Update* 4/7/12

39K views 465 replies 35 participants last post by  Tiger 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I purchased a used all in one 5 gallon bow front tank for a whopping $5 at my work. Replaced the stock filter bad with a poly bio filter. I also got a sponge pre filter off of an established system at work to hook up to the intake.

I know these tanks aren't the best, but since I replaced the filter I think it will do just fine.

I will probably be doing weekly water changes as well.

I went ahead and set it up without substrate today, so it is cycling currently with the established pre filter a handful of established bio balls. A ball of Xmas moss, and some baby water lettuce.

This will be a slow set up I'm in no hurry and I'm taking my time.

I will be placing an order tomorrow for some shrimp food, and some fluval stratum.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Filtration system

Top opened

FTS

See less See more
#392 ·
Well, I had actually planned to take a bit of a break from TPT, but I found something that was too awesome to not share with you guys! One of my berried mamas unloaded. ( I'm guessing sometime today) I've seen one tiny shrimp ( Haven't looked for them just dropped a piece of food in and saw it)

Anyway, the things is tiny it's literally like this big _ Yeah that's right, the size of that line!!! If it wasn't for the tiny orange eyes I wouldn't have known it was a shrimp.

#399 ·
at least checkout my journal and rescape before you leave!
cool!! please dont leave us! we arent bad for you at a moderation
Calm down, guys. I won't leave you. Just going to cut down on the amount of time I spend on here. :) I promise to check in off and on.

#409 ·
Pfft no, I keep buying stuff off of the Swap N Shop... :hihi: While I agree with you about improving on the older pics... I don;t think we can compare his non macro lens to mine... The lens he's been doing macros with is like a $1.5k lens or something.
wow i love OEBT's now and beautiful tank. how hard have these shrimp been for you, and what are your tank specs(ph, hardness,etc..)
They are neat shrimp indeed! Thanks for the compliments. These guys have been easy to keep and to get to breed, I've had no problems what soever. Only time will tell if I have good success rate with the babies though. I don't test for anything in here.. I use 100% RO water with Mosura Mineral Supplement.I keep the temp at 70-72

#410 ·
true true. but its not all about the lens, its about the photographer too :) its fun to try and improve your skills and shots with what you have..

i was thinking, when you have your macro lens, your still going to have trouble with lighting. you might want to get an off body flash too :p

#413 ·
Well decided to remove some excess moss from the tank to make viewing the shrimp easier... lets just say that was a HUGE pain. I spent the last hour picking through moss/ hair algae to make sure I didn't throw any shrimp away.. I did end up finding 5 or 6 tiny babies and put them back into the tank. However I was still not confident I got all of them so the moss which would have normally went to the trash, went into the experimental cherry shrimp tank. I sure hope I didn't stress the shrimp out too much. I've got about 4 berried mama's right now! And apparently a bunch of babies. ( I found 5, in the moss I pulled, so there has to be more in the tank.)

Plese tell me there is a better way to do this.....:angryfire

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.