The Planted Tank Forum banner

29G Metaframe Goldfish Riparium

8K views 66 replies 18 participants last post by  hydrophyte 
#1 ·
29G Metaframe Goldfish Riparium

Hey this project will be fun and easy too.

I am going to do a riparium for goldfish in this 29-gallon Metaframe.

I refurbished this tank and I have a thread about it somwhere(?). It's in great shape.

I am going to keep the setup as simple as possible...
  • Lighting--natural filtered sunlight in atrium setting
  • Filtration/water circulation--sponge filter and probably bubble curtain too
  • Room temperature (low 70sF) water
  • Live riparium plants
  • Some fake underwater plants and other décor
  • A single fancy goldfish and maybe some other fish too(??)

How does this sound so far? I wonder about adding a second kind of fish(?). What about a group of maybe ten white cloud mountain minnows?

This setup will probably grow lots of algae because of the setting, but I will keep the underwater portion nice and simple for easier cleaning. I might find the sponge filter to be inadequate for clearing the water so I might need to switch it out with a canister, but I'll see how it goes.

I think I have good idea for plants in mind. These are all easy riparium plants that for open-top setups that grow in nice and full and good-sized...

• Cyperus 'Baby Tut'
  • leather fern
  • Ruellia brittoniana
  • Spathiphyllum peace lily
  • black mangrove

I will not make any attempt at an organized or natural-looking aquascape, so a hodge-podge of plants will do just fine. I will do my best to keep them gorwing and looking good.

The tank will be open-top and filled all th way up. Since I am not hanging a light overhead I won't have to worry at all about plants growing up too tall.

See less See more
#3 ·
Sounds like a fun little setup! I may be wrong, but, don't most full grown goldfish require a heavily filtered 20g+ tank? I am sure you could pull it off with five less gallons. Just wasn't sure. The riparium plants will deffinately help with the any algae or NH2/NH3/NH4.

Looking foreward to your progress! (As usual).

#5 ·
Dear me. What was I reading when I read 15g? :icon_conf :confused:

#6 ·

How does this sound so far? I wonder about adding a second kind of fish(?). What about a group of maybe ten white cloud mountain minnows?
I currently have a comet that is 5-6 inches in a 29 gallon with 7 white cloud mountain minnows (don't worry, he's moving to a 75 soon :)). I think that he is big enough to eat the minnows now, but none of them have disappeared yet, so I think it might be a case of 'put the tetras in when the Angels are tiny, and then they might not eat them when they're big'. I added the minnows when the goldfish was only 2-3 inches, and they are pretty good at keeping out of his way.

Also, my tank is fully planted, and either I just got lucky, or he got used to having plants when he was little, because he doesn't really eat anything except java moss and floating plants.
I have pennywort, Hygrophila polysperma and H. difformis, crypts, an Ozelot sword, golden creeping jenny, java ferns (narrow leaf and trident too), and hornwort and he doesn't eat any of those things (this is a low-tech tank). He tugs on them as he goes by and it can be quite annoying until they get established, but that's the worst he does.

#7 ·
I did not know before that any fancy goldfish can grow to be about 8". I have only seen pretty big black moors before. Twenty-nine gallons is definitely on the small side for a big fat 8" fish, but if we get lucky and this one grows big there is also an option to build a cedar pond in the same space. That was actually my first idea but it will be a lot easier to get rolling with this fish tank instead.

Yep I plan to start out with a small goldifish and the white clouds should be fine for a while too.

Does anybody know about any good hobbyist breeders? I'd prefer to start out with a quality fish.

#9 ·
This should come together real easy. I have most every component here handy.

I do need to figure out some kind of a stand. I intend for the tank to be pretty low with the base only ~15" up off the floor. I might do alright just using some patio blocks and a couple of cedar boards.

#11 ·
I personally wouldn't keep a show quality goldfish in a 29 gallon for very long at all. Stunting basically ruins the fish. Then again I personally wouldn't keep any goldfish outside of a pond setting. Check AB they might have some nice goldfish...also contact your local pond supply stores. I got my koi from japan off a small supplier but its been too long for me too remember.

#19 ·
I got some plants, nice big established specimens, into this setup yesterday. I am going over to work on it again tomorrow and I hope I can get get some pictures then.

I think I might try to put a dozen or so long fine white cloud mountain minnows in here. Has anybody seen any for sale recently?

#26 ·
Hey I finally tracked down that card reader and I was able to get into my pictures. Here is a quick shot of the tank with water and plants.

I put some nice specimens in there that were grown up nice and tall. They include two Cyperus, a leather fern and a Ruellia brittoniana.

This setup will grow lots of algae, but I am keeping it very simple underwater to simplify cleaning.

Can't wait to get fish into there! The room is air-conditioned in summer and stays coolish all year long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.