The Planted Tank Forum banner

Red_wall's 4 Gallon Finnex

2K views 4 replies 2 participants last post by  Red_Wall 
#1 · (Edited)
Equipment: Finnex 4g (pico plus), pressurized paint ball co2, and 23 watt lighting.

Flora: Rotala Mac, Stargrass, Rotala Sp. 'green', X-mas moss (not pictured)

Current FTS
(05-09-12)

Beginning of the tank (4-27-2012)

I got my plants today - and here's the result:

Some problems that I'm having:
  • Well, number one, it looks like crap, haha, I'm going to be buying some stones tomorrow to attach some flame moss to. I need to buy a carpeting plant, but I think I'll do that once I see how my stems do.
  • Not sure which plants are which, there's two that looks the same, rotala green, and the stargrass.Once they grow in I might be able to tell the difference.
  • The spray bar is making it to where any stem plants in front of it lean to the front - so, no stem plants to the left side of the tank, once they grow in that is.
  • I'm pretty sure I messed my diffuser up from accidentally having too much pressure for a bit - there are tiny holes all in the ceramic (bigger than normal). I might invest in an ADA diffuser because I'm not liking how the input valve is on the bottom of the diffuser.
  • The stem plants are so hard to plant, it's ridiculous. May end up getting some "lead" weights if I can find them.
  • My drop checker came with a crappy "sucker" so it kept detaching and floating to the top.
  • I want to put the spray bar up higher, but the small hose that is connecting it won't bend that way. Need to figure that out.
  • I also believe that one species of plant is too big for my tank, which I may end up throwing out, or just keeping it really short.

See less See more
#2 · (Edited)
Update: 04/29/12

Here's some new pictures! Added some rocks, and started a flame moss rock!

The plants are starting to look good and are growing very well. (Circled new growths in black on 2 pics)

Let me just say that it is 100000% worth getting a high tech setup. I struggled with very low light, DIY co2, etc, etc on a big tank and it almost wanted to make me get out of aquariums.

It would have normally taken me like a week to see this little bit of growth in plants. I am so happy with this tank.

Some problems I've addressed:

I think the tank is actually looking okay right now. I'm surprised how much of an addition the rocks made, and the plants are pretty much recovered from the shock of shipping... not sure about the Rotala though.

I think the big leafed one is supposed to be the 'stargrass' and the ones with the needleish leaves is the Rotala Green.

Fixed the spray bar after careful, yet extremely forceful sliding.

I think I made the co2 line look a little better by hiding it under the substrate. Plus the rock pushed up against it makes the diffuser stand straight up and down now, instead of at a slight angle.

Stem plants are staying down fine in the substrate.

You can see in the pic with the drop checker that I cut off the part that was crappy, and added a piece from a different sucker that is amazing.

I don't think that plant is too big for my tank anymore. Just have to let it get grown in.

New problems

I'm going to put in a carpet of something. I'm contemplating HC or Staurogyne. I never much liked the look of glosso, four leaf clover, or hairgrass... anyone have some suggestions?

I'm noticing the slightest beginning of algae on the leaves of my plants. I don't think its serious, but I need to get some snails and shrimp in there, but I'm waiting for the tank to cycle first. Do I need to wait for the tank to cycle before I add things? I've heard differing opinions with planted tanks.

#3 ·
Hey, I'm sure you'll be able to grow many different plants with that CO2 and high light. About the carpet plant: In my tank I have some four leaf clover, but to be completely honest with you, I'm not in love with that plant. it always grows exactly where I don't want it to grow, and I have to be cutting it all the time to keep it under control. Might I suggest Elatine triandra. This one grows a little tall, but if you keep it trimmed from the tops it will spread and make a good carpet. Another all-time favorite is the HC. I don't think you'll have trouble growing either. I mean, I don't have any CO2 in my tank (Except for the Excel) and the HC is doing fine.

#5 · (Edited)
Just got some inverts from Msjinkzd, whom I HIGHLY recommend!

Got 2 Amano Shrimp, 2 Horned Nerites, and 10 Cherry Shrimp.

Somewhat worried as my tank is still cycling, but I'm going to be changing a bit of the water every other day.

I rescaped a little bit. Moved the (just found out what it is) Hygrophila Polysperma to the left side and threw half of it away (the raggity bits anyways).

Still don't really want to touch the Macandra because it is a pain to get back in the substrate since its delicate.

The Rotala Green is still growing in, which when it does, I'm going to be throwing the dying stems away.

Here's some pics:

Problem I've fixed:

I now have shrimp and snails! Woo!

Current problems:

Just want to get some HC, but I read that it won't want to stay rooted in my particular substrate.

Waiting for the Rotala Green to grow in.

Videos!

FTS
Cherries
Amano

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.