The Planted Tank Forum banner

Zachary908's OEBT shrimp tank.*Update* 4/7/12

39K views 465 replies 35 participants last post by  Tiger 
#1 · (Edited)
Today I purchased a used all in one 5 gallon bow front tank for a whopping $5 at my work. Replaced the stock filter bad with a poly bio filter. I also got a sponge pre filter off of an established system at work to hook up to the intake.

I know these tanks aren't the best, but since I replaced the filter I think it will do just fine.

I will probably be doing weekly water changes as well.

I went ahead and set it up without substrate today, so it is cycling currently with the established pre filter a handful of established bio balls. A ball of Xmas moss, and some baby water lettuce.

This will be a slow set up I'm in no hurry and I'm taking my time.

I will be placing an order tomorrow for some shrimp food, and some fluval stratum.

Anyway, here are a few pictures.

Filtration system

Top opened

FTS

See less See more
#3 ·
It probably won't be much to look at. The goal is to breed shrimp, not look pretty. :hihi: It will most likely be lots of Xmas moss. A few rocks and or some driftwood... I might throw in a few clippings from my 75 as well, but I doubt they will do great in this tank... maybe some anubias as well.

#5 ·
Thanks, Bahugo! I sure hope I can keep the suckers alive!

I'm too lazy do do a moss background, thought about it many times. :hihi: I may end up with some flame moss, but if I do it will be a while we don't have any at work, and after these shrimp supply purchases I'll need to slow down on the online shopping!

#9 ·
Ha, I'm ordering the shrimp goodies from Fosters and smith.

Well, that was the original plan, but I'll probably drain it put the substrate in plant the plants, then fill it back up with the old water. I find planting is done a lot easier when there isn't any water in the tank.

That moss is java moss? I thought it was Xmas moss... :(

#14 ·
Purchased some pieces of driftwood for the tank today, I'll probably have to break them up a bit, but I believe they will work well for what I have in mind.

I'm waiting on a package from Fosters and smith, and then I will begin setting up the tank for real!

Pictures to follow once the goodies arrive!

#15 · (Edited)
Well, I figured I'd throw a plant list on here. This list is what I currently have to put in the tank, I may add more, but I am going to attempt to make this a non collectoris tank....

Subwassertang

Christmas moss

Dwaf hair grass

Anubias Nana 'Petite'

I might use some crypt parva in the foreground, but I haven't decided yet.

My substrate should be arriving in the mail tomorrow, so I might have pictures up in the evening.

#16 ·
The goodies arrived this morning, so I set up the tank!

Here are some pictures, would have posted more soon, but photobucket wasn't cooperating.

Shrimp goodies!

Supplies

Subwassertang

FTS. The moss looks kinda bad, because I realized I was out of super glue, so this was my first time using thread...

Let me know what you think!

#17 ·
I think the tank looks great! I have to be honest though, I hate when people say that they are just going to throw some stuff together and they end up with a badass looking tank that looks much better than all the ones I actually try to scape! I can't wait for the arrival of the OEBT's. I'm switching my RCS all from my 20g to my 10g so that I can use my 20g for OEBT's in the future. They should really pop with the red Flourite substrate.

#18 ·
Ha, thanks for all the kind words, man! Honestly I really did throw it together. If you have the right hardscape, and you jut go with the flow it will turn out well. Usually if I think about how I;m going to set it up too much It end up looking terrible This tank took me about 15-30 minutes to set up, that includes draining it, scaping, and refilling.

I can't wait to get my OEBT's either. I'm going to give the tank a bit to settle in, and then next month I'm going to order some from Geenisgood! She has been a tremendous help to me with this tank so far.

Thursday my mosura mineral supplement should arrive, and then I just need the shrimp.

#21 ·
Thanks, bob! The shrimp will come some time early next month if the water parameters are good by then. I'm in no hurry though. I will be purchasing them from Greenisgood.

take your time cycling the tank and you are golden for the OEBT's. The tank looks great. and it being a $5 tank is even better!
Yep, that's what I plan to do. Threw some bio balls, and a sponge prefilter from an established tank and stuck it on this, so It should cycle pretty well.
Thanks!

#22 ·
Okay, so last night I realized the temp in the tank was at 75.7 degrees, which could cause problems with OEBT's especially if it were to rise much more. So I got a 1 1/2 inch 12 v fan, and wired it up to an AC/DC adapter. I drilled a hole in the right side of the hood so the fan had a place to draw air from, and then attached the fan inside the hood. It was a success! Today the tank was sitting at a cool 69 degrees! It works so well I may need a heater. :cool: What does everyone else keep the temp at in there OEBT tank?

Here's a few pictures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.