The Planted Tank Forum banner

How long have you been doing this?

3K views 35 replies 29 participants last post by  SlammedDC2 
#1 ·
I've had aquariums off and on for most of my life, but it's been quite a few years since I had a nicely planted tank, and none of my tanks ever looked like some of the pictures here.
I think it is probably because I did not have the time to study pictures of beautiful tanks and try to figure out what it was the tank creators had done to make it so attractive. And to study about what plants like and then go do that for them.
I think once I get that kind of experience, my tanks will stop looking like beginner's tanks. I hope. :smile:

#2 ·
I have kept aquariums for over 20 years, but have been adding plants to my aquariums for only about six months. I can tell you this- if you want to learn how to set up a tank like those here, ASK A LOT OF QUESTIONS!!! Find someone who has a tank that you like the looks of and then ask them how they did it. The community here is excellent, and the members of TPT are the absolute best about helping out anyone who has questions. Everyone starts where you are, and very few people can set up an awesome display the first time around- there is a lot of trial and error (in my case, lots and lots of errors!) before building up to that skill level.

#15 ·
I've kept planted tanks, on & off, for over 50 years, since I was a young teen.

All of my first dozen or so tanks were planted, and we didn't have the 'net' then to do all the research we can today. That was in the late 1950's. It still worked our pretty well though.

These days I keep my discus in a planted environment, although I must say I now do it low-tech and keep it simple, not like the elaborate planting set-ups I used to attempt.
Here's my tank now:
http://s1105.photobucket.com/albums/h357/discuspaul/Sept2011

#19 ·
Thanks Lucille, if you were referring to my tank & fish.
But the more important question for you is: what are you trying to achieve insofar as a planted tank is concerned ? What would you like to see/have ?

My simple plant scape is nothing to write home about, and I'm sure you have your own ideas and preferences.

All I perhaps have to offer you, depending on what you're looking for, is a way & means of maintaining good water quality and clarity, along with an easy, relatively successful, and straightforward approach to maintaining easy, low-light plants in a low-tech environment, with not a hell of a lot of work - just takes a little TLC and attention. Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

#21 ·
18 years. Got a firebellied toad at 6 years old and the rest is history. My first true planted aquarium was the 10 gallon on my dresser with a veritable cornucopia of tropical community fish. I had swords and several other species of plants growing under two 15 watt incandescent bulbs. I used those Hagen Basic Aquarium Guides that came with the tank setups as reading material for years. In 2003 I found the internet for aquariums and here I am.

#22 ·
I have tanks off and on for about 45 years. It's been mostly off lately. I'm just now getting back into aquariums and will get really into planted aquaria. It's a whole different ballgame and it's taken a lot of learning. It has taken me almost 2 months just to research and get the right light fixtures for the type of tank I have and the plants I want to keep. But, that's part of the fun I think.

#23 ·
AHhhh that FIRST Tank!

:rolleyes: Ever since my Mom set up her 10 gallon, metal framed, slate bottomed aquarium with the most divine silky purple gravel with a little filter box in the corner for her 2 angelfish. Everything came from "Mr. Jim's Animal Kingdom" and included two real elodea stems.....

As an 8 year old girl, I simply fell in love! I'd get up in the middle of the night just to look at the tank with the lights on. My life has been a zoology lab ever since!

So OK, that's like 47 years ago.

soxus viejas

#31 ·
:rolleyes: Ever since my Mom set up her 10 gallon, metal framed, slate bottomed aquarium ...
I remember my uncle having these when I was a kid. Was that the norm "back then?"

#24 ·
I started keeping fish when I was four. So I been doing this for 19 years. My dad show me what he knew. He used to breed angelfish, guppies, mollies and other types of fish during high school and college for extra funds.
I kept fish since then. I kept everything but saltwater, discus, large predatory fish (such as oscars) and rift lake cichlids. Two years ago I started a planted aquarium after my black ranchus died. I been in love with ever since. It had been a very rewarding hobby for myself.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.