The Planted Tank Forum banner

Anyone with a 100g+ in an apartment?

981 views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Whiskey 
#1 ·
Any of you have a 100g+ tank in an apartment?

If so what are the dimensions, location and does the landlord know? :eek5:

#2 ·
I had at one time for few years a 90g and a 40g side by side, plus couple of 10g and a 20 in other parts of the apt. I was on the second floor and the tanks were just against the walls. I didn't even think of structural risk, because I was just starting out and didn't know much at the time, but no I had no problem at all. The landlord never once inspected the apt in a few years I was there. I'm sure though, if she had seen the tanks I had, she would've made me take down the larger tanks. I'm in apt now, I have one small tank because there's an inspection every few months and contract says no more than 20g. If you're planning on a big tank, I would ask or at least convince your landlord that it's not a risk, or get apt insurance.

#5 ·
Yeah I decided I'm going to talk to my landlord/owner, didn't think of the insurance, I'm going to see what that will cost to cover the building, in case he asks.

I've been here 4 years now, I know which way the floor runs and currently have a 40g tank or should I say 55g. :) I was worried after I set that up because I didn't ask as I was still new to the building and he didn't even comment on it. But he's not dumb and knows 125g is a lot. I have no worries about structure as the apartment under me, which is half in the ground, is laid out exactly the same, the 3rd floor is also the same. I also just painted the living room and had the buzzer off the wall and the 2x4's are real, not 1.5x3.5. I also have the option of putting the tank on the outside wall of the building which has to be guaranteed to hold 1200 lbs.

Just curious how many people have large tanks in apartments with no problems then I can tell the landlord everyone else is doing it, lol.

Bump:

That will likely be concrete flooring since its a high rise, I'd put a 250 up there. :)

#9 ·
I had a 180G SW tank with a 50G sump, along with 2 50's and a 125 FW.

In an APT that had a rule that no tanks over 10G were permitted.

BUT! I moved in before the rule (and had it written into my lease in the comments when I moved in that my tanks were okay.)

So I was grandfathered in. The landloard actually loved my tank, it was an amazing SPS tank full of life. They would just stand there and stare at it everytime they had to come in to do some work.

Whiskey

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.