The Planted Tank Forum banner

New Fluval Fresh aquariums?

26K views 36 replies 15 participants last post by  mfnatik 
#1 ·
Anyone know when these will be available in the USA? There don't seem to be any reviews on the web or videos posted on Youtube.

At first glance, I think they look a lot nicer than those cheap looking Fluval Studio tanks. The only downsides might be the "frosted rim framing" which you can't really see in the picture, and we don't know how good of a silicone job they've done on the seams. Also with a maximum size of 35.4" x 13.8" x 17.7", that tank will be pretty shallow in depth. I'm wondering if the top is covered or not.

See less See more
#5 · (Edited)
Me like the 36", oh boy. Just say no to MTS :)
Me too. I wish it wasn't only 13.8" deep. I'd also like to see a 48". The 36" is 550 Euros, which is about $715 US. That's a pretty good deal for a tank with plumbed bottom, filter ($100 on Amazon), stand, heater, and lighting.

I guess the top is covered. Seapets mentions something about a "frosted anti jump top shield".

#10 ·
Yes, they come with Fluval 206 canister filters, and here is the description from Seapet's website:

Integrated filtration fittings are included to allow under tank connection to Fluval canister filtration for ultra-quiet performance; consistent water quality; no external hosing; reduced electrical wire clutter and more.

#13 ·
Checked out the saltwater version of the Fluval Fresh aquariums at a local store and the frosted top and bottom look pretty bad IMO. It's as if someone put a 1.5 inch band of scotch tape along the top and bottom. The veneer on the cabinet also doesn't look as nice as it does on the official website (no surprise there).

#18 ·
#20 ·
Thanks...I'll PM him out of curiosity. I'm not ready to buy a large aquarium just yet. I do like the frosted white rim because living in AZ, I'm constantly having to take a razor blade and scrape the hard water stains on my rimless nanos.

From the looks of these tanks (I haven't read info on them yet), they appear to be using Fluval's new Aquatic Life & Plant LED's. I've been experimenting with a 24" model and I'm actually impressed with the light. Only down side, on tanks as tall as these, we'd only be good for low/moderate light. I'm not sure if a second fixture could be added to get to high light.

#22 ·
That frosted line just kills it for me. I am not sure if I would be interested in one of these or not but that kills the idea for me. I would want to see the stand in person as well. Seems like a very good all in one idea, attractive IMO, with no need to upgrade components, something most all in ones lack. I will have to hunt one of these down and see one in real life to make my final judgement on the frosted line.

#25 ·
Thanks for the video... I think they're pretty neat for an easy to put together kit. It's not as nice, IMO, as a rimless high clarity tank with Lily pipes and custom stand... But I think fluval has hit a nice niche between ugly standard frame tanks and high end rimless ADA and ADA-like tanks. Overall I think they look clean and I like how the filter gets integrated like in the video. The suspended light and white guards are cool, too. If fluval somehow manages to keep the pricing reasonable, they could have a winner.

#26 ·
Looks better than I would have thought. I still don't think I could get over the frosted top and bottom. Not that I am looking into this but if I was, I wish they would make it an option. I would not be surprised if it would look worse and worse over time from both algae, stains, and UV rays but that is speculation. I also wonder why they took the time to add the plastic wire ties when they could have just put a connector on the end of the power cable, allowing you to run it right through that tube. Probably for easier setup and to use the same lights but so many LED fixtures have a small laptop like plug that would be fairly easy to integrate to both the light, and allow it to go through the light bar. That's not a complaint, it's just strange they took the time to consider it when there is a better way.

Overall, I think it is impressive, especially for off the shelf. Looks better than previous offerings which are not bad at all. The light shield actually looks better than not, at least in the video, something that surprised me.

One thing I couldn't figure out, is the bottom of the tank drilled? It looks like it has something similar to an overflow setup, without the actual overflow. That's kind of neat. I can't find any pictures of it not filled.

Anyway, glad to see more options out there for those who can't get Truaqua or ADA locally. I actually think a high end, low tech tank is a place in the hobby that is untapped. I wish ADA, or more likely Do!Aqua made a low light level LED fixture specifically for use without CO2. That is not just from my recent issues, I have been thinking that for awhile.

#27 ·
One thing I couldn't figure out, is the bottom of the tank drilled? It looks like it has something similar to an overflow setup, without the actual overflow. That's kind of neat. I can't find any pictures of it not filled.
Yes, the bottom of the tank is drilled, which I actually like because then you don't have to worry about hoses and cleaning the glass inflow/outflows all the time. Too bad the outflow kinda sticks out. The way it is now, you can't really hide it with any plants unless you have vals, cyperus helferi, or some tall crypts all along the back of your tank. Here is a drawing from Fluval's website:

#32 ·
That's kind of pricy, imo. For that pricy, you could probably do an ADA 60P, Archea stand, Eheim filter, lily pipes and equivalent lighting, pre shipping. I like the concept on this tank but I was thinking that would be more in the $400-500 range for some reason. I am not saying it's a good or bad deal, I am just kind of surprised where they are placing themselves, considering most Fluval tanks are usually fairly cheap compared to higher end options.

#33 ·
Thanks for the input Matt. I suppose the extra $ is probably for the convenience of the packaged setup. I kind of want something that works well together and is "tested" where I can just get up and running, cycle the setup, add my substrate, plants, CO2, and shrimps and have fun watching it grow. Just slapped a Fluval Spec V together for my kids 2 weeks ago and figured I'd setup my own tank when I saw the Fresh lineup. Its very appealing to me to have a prepackaged setup.

I'm not too turned off by the frosting. The Spec V has it and its (not to me at least) distracting or taking away from the look of the tank. Albeit it has it on the sides where the filter and pump are, not at the top or bottom. If I'm able to get the tank I'll be sure to post up some pics here. I've contacted Fluval directly through FB to get some assistance in getting a unit since the LFS is saying no local (SoCal) distributor can get the larger 34G right now.

Actually, I am a little surprised by the high price, but overall it seems to be well put together so I figured it might be worth the investment for years of (hopefully trouble free) enjoyment.

#34 ·
I totally understand that completely. Again, the price was more about the positioning in the market, more so than if it will be worth it or not. I personally have yet to see one in person so I can't actually judge it myself. I said it earlier but I really love the outflow/inflow design and though it's not something you couldn't DIY, I personally don't feel comfortable enough, at least on the type of tanks I would want to do it on (ADA or similar). So, that alone is a great thing. My point is, I don't want to discourage anyone from making a purchase and the price isn't unreasonable, it just puts them in the very high end/boutique range or close to it. A full ADA setup would cost way more than this, a mixture of ADA, Eheim, etc, would get you close. So, it's not overpriced, especially if the aesthetics appeal, for me, I am a bit on the fence on certain things.

#35 ·
You had me rethinking the purchase b/c of the high end price. But thanks for clarifying b/c on paper it seems to be a decent value. Fluval reached out to me again today so hopefully they can help me locate someone local that has the setup in the showroom so I can feel better than ordering it sight unseen.

#36 ·
Well, look at it this way. You get a 34 gallon rimless tank that would cost about $200-300, maybe more. Then you have what is likely a Fluval 206, about $125. The stand, I would put $200 on that. I am unsure about the LED's but the plant specific led fixture of that size is around $225-250. Add another $20 for the heater.

That puts you right around $900 on the high end and doesn't account for all the misc stuff light the light hangers, inflow/outflow, etc. Plus it's drilled for you already. So, it's actually not a bad deal, and I am estimating the worth of the tank and stand as they are not sold separately but either could cost more to find an equivalent.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.