The Planted Tank Forum banner

Sun Sun Canister filter info

2K views 15 replies 7 participants last post by  Stone454 
#1 ·
So I ordered my Sun Sun canister filter about a month ago... it's a HW-302 model and I'm gonna be using it on a 75 gallon.

I know it doesn't come with the filter media however, so could anybody point me in the right direction of what to purchase for it? Because it's kinda confusing to me and I've never used a canister filter before. :icon_conf

#4 ·
They are essentially the marine land filters. You can grab the media for them from petsmart and just make a tiny modification to allow for the UV lamp (if your model comes with it) and your good to go. you can get filter media bags and ceramic rings if you would like, or use bio balls, or if your on the cheap side like I am, you can use pot scrubbers.

#6 ·
ok, the marine land filter stuff should work just fine in there :) its pretty inexpensive as well. Just don't follow the manufacturers replacement schedule. I don't replace it unless the media is literally falling apart lol.

#10 · (Edited)
I use 2 media in mine (but it really doesn't make a big difference):

Fluval Pre-Filter ceramic rings (bottom layers)
EHEIM Substrat Pro sintered glass pearls (top layers)

Just fill it up and you're good

Also I recommend more filtration than that. I use a 402B (I think it's basically the same thing as yours - 260 GPH...) on my 30 gallon (which is overkill but my water quality / flow are great). On my 75G I use 2x EHEIM 2217 canisters with good results. IMO buy a second canister for your 75 gallon.

"Rated up to 75 gallons" is a load of crap because the max 260GPH is still only like 3x turnover for a 75 gallon (too low IMO) and that's with no media at all - just water going through (manufacturers basically lie about flow rates all the time). Media will slow down the filter a lot.

Over-filtering your tank is the way to go - it will be a lot easier to avoid water quality issues and down the road you will not need to do quite so many water changes.

#11 ·
trueaqua has soem good deals on media in zipper bags ready to go at good prices usually, they are the same as sunsun just branded as aquatop, usually you can get filters from them with the media included wish I had bought their version vs the sunsun I had to buy media for, but yeah no big deal, I am happy with my sunsun, works like a champ and is quiet, what more can you ask for?

#14 ·
I have a sunsun 505b I believe that's its number it has us and the pump actually goes on the intake inside the tank which means no hassle priming, I like this filter, I do not see why people pay so much for fluvals and the like, its a box with a water pump and media baskets as long as the pump is up to the task the rest is all about the sameyou can get 2-3 sunsuns/aquatops for the price of the pricey filters

#15 ·
I think now SunSun has proven to be reliable, I'm switching from 10 years of using fluval to this filter. I'm sure you know, cheaper of anything, means cheaper materials lead to premature breakdown. But like I said, SunSun seems to be different, so I'm on board.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.