The Planted Tank Forum banner

Repurposing JBJ 24 for freshwater (planted noob here)

613 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  DesignZ 
#1 ·
I have been doing saltwater for a number of years. I was bored of it and decided to take all of it to the LFS for a credit. So I guess I am starting with a JBJ 24 that housed my saltwater rig.
I have taken off the top bracket. I'm going to polish a few spots that are etched with salt creep. Then I plan on getting maybe Eco-Complete and a 16" Finnex Fugeray Planted series light.
Does the Fugeray have enough output for carpeting plant to grow? The dim of the tank are 17.5" wide x 15.5" deep x 16.5 inches tall.
How many inches of substrate should I put in it? I was thinking a minimum of 2".

Just need some advice. I had saltwater for 15 years or so. These planted tank have so much more artistic potential it's quite interesting!

See less See more
#3 ·
I use Eco complete and have very good success in growing plants and clouds very little when rescaping. As for substrate height, I did mine 3" in the back and between 1-2" in the front, it's easy to plant this way, and rooted plants need deeper substrate. Some carpeting plants don't require high light, but I red that a member grew baby tears with planted plus, and baby tears requires good lighting, someone will chime in on that. You can post that in the lighting section as well.
Before you start buying equipment, just like in saltwater system, I had one too. You want to know what is your primary goal, what plants you want to keep, low maintenance, low lighting, no Co2, or high tech, Co2 etc. This way you don't waste money by buying stuff and replacing them because you want to go high tech make plants grow faster. Same thing with saltwater, softies, LPS, mushrooms, not too much light, may not need skimmer. Sps means go all out with equipment, same thing with planted tank. Your tank is a good start, just be patient, you have some knowledgeable people here.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.