The Planted Tank Forum banner

90 Gallon with wet/dry high light

3K views 19 replies 10 participants last post by  kern 
#1 ·
Here are a few pictures of my newly set up 90 gallon. It has been up and running for about weeks now. The Overflow and wet/dry came with the tank, and I’m borrowing the canister filter from a friend for now. I’m still waiting on CO2 to come in and will be making a reactor. In the last picture of the wetdry filter I set the UV output (about 90gph) to run over the bioballs, and i’ve got the main overflow box output going straight into the water just above surface. This is my best attempt at reducing outgassing for the CO2. The water is very clear with few micro bubbles, but is the rigid piping going to outgas the CO2? Also will a rex reactor work on an aquaclear 70 pump? There is a bucket filled with aquarium sand waiting to be mixed in with the substrate. I haven’t decided if Im going to use the undergravel filter or not, but it came with the tank. The light is a catalina 6x54 watt T5 with LED’s programmable. The light came with the tank with 2 bulbs working, but two ballasts have been replaced and all 6 bulbs are working now. Bulbs used in the fixture range from 6500k to 10000k. The lighting period is 11a.m-11p.m 2 bulbs, all 6 bulbs from 3p.m-4p.m. I’ll increase the 6 bulb lighting period and buy more plants when CO2 is set up and stable.

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
That is a nice high light setup you have started! I personally wouldn't use the under gravel if you plan on keeping more than a few plants in there. Can't wait to see it when you get the Co2 rocking. Better keep the lights off till then though, lol!

:hihi:

#7 ·
After much deliberation I finally took the undergravel filter out, and did some layering with the substrate. First I put 1/2 inch dirt, then a 1 inch layer of playground sand, then 2 inch layer of sand and gravel mix. Also the CO2 came in, and I installed a reactor which hooks up to an aquaclear 70. It works perfect! There were some issues with outgassing from the return spout to the sump, but stuffing some pillow casing into the output completely stopped all bubbles! The pH in the mornings before the lights come on is at 7.6, and the pH is set at 6.4 throughout the day. I have a constant kH of 2. So before lights come on my CO2 is about 1.5ppm, and when lights are on the CO2 is at 24ppm. Is there anything I should change with the way the pH is? I know plants like to have a little higher pH than this but I still want the CO2 to be in the optimum range. Pictures coming soon!

#10 ·
More Pics!

Here are some more pics. The ludwigia cuba is growing really well. The leaves have become thinner and more abundant, there are also many lateral buds. The glosso is beginning to form a carpet which should fill in within the month. If anyone has any plant species suggestions I would really appreciate it. The Carbon Doser is working really well. It is definitely a nice product and should be strongly considered by anyone who is thinking about getting one.
Recently some algae has started to grow on the glass, I hope this is just temporary and will disappear within a few weeks. Also if anyone knows what kind it is that would be cool.

Attachments

#15 ·
With a layout like that you will def. have a really ful lush tank. It's going to look good once it fills in. I miss these overgrown rainbow tanks.

#17 ·
New pics 5/5

Trying to do an update every saturday. Here are some pictures taken from today 5/5. I want some more plants with reds in them since the whole tank is pretty much green, excluding ludwigia tops, and the scarlet temple. If anyone has some good plant packages feel pree to pm me ;)

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.