The Planted Tank Forum banner

Downgrading to Nano tank, have some questions...HELP

2K views 21 replies 9 participants last post by  Chlorophile 
#1 · (Edited)
:help: Im downgrading from a 10gal and a 20gal because having a Dog and a cat and a husband is kinda taking some of my time, hehe, however, I would not mind taking care of a smaller planted nano tank, so...I've been eyeing the Fluval flora tank and the Evolve at Petsmart, im not too crazy about the acrylic of the Evolve but I do like the size it comes in...so! Anybody have any idea of which of these could be better...The tanks I am downgrading from are planted and I use Flourish excel therefore I have never used the co2 system like in the flora nano tank, I am willing to learn, but is it really something that I need to treat my plants???

Also, I have 3 neon tetras, 3 mountain white clouds, 1 rasbora (a survivor from a previous tank), an Otto and a whole family of Cherry shrimp ( they keep breeding like rabbits).. So, would they be a heavy load for a nano tank? Because that would mean finding them new homes..Im confused about what to do...thats why I need some guidance people!

#2 ·
What size is the "nano" cause technically a20gal is considered a nano...but from the fluval tanks I come across at petco I would say that it would be way too overloaded with all those fish I'd say make it a species tank so choose 1 of the 3 types of fish to be safe. (don't forget I don't know what size your talking about). and on the matter of choosing the 2, I'm not a fan of those kind of tanks for me if it's gonna be a nano I wanna make it unique. And interesting kind of like Newman's Shrimp Bowl which is alsoon this forum. Hope this help! (I tend to rant on about things :p)

#3 ·
Nano, as in a tank between 6 to 8 gal maximum, i think the fluval flora is an 8gal and also the evolve at petsmart (im not to crazy about this one cuz of the acrylic, so lets forget about it). so yeah..right now i have the 10 gal, the 20gal has been dismantled, The fish I listed are all in the 10gal at this moment. i am selling all the stuff i have so that I can move in to the nano tank. Just wanted some help on choosing, what would be the right fish load for it and type of plants that could work for it. One thing I have in mind is maybe selling the fish or just taking them to a LFS and just getting a Betta for the nano tank with plants...im not sure if the Betta would get along with the shrimp, or if i should get some snails so they take care of the dirty work...ahhhh the fun of being a fishtank aficionado......sigh

#4 ·
I just got the fluval flora and i'm kinda new to planted tanks. For a review of the flora I can tell you that your gonna definatley need more substrate then it comes with, it's extremely shallow with the 4.4lb bag, I ordered an extra 8.8lb bag and added the whole thing (very deep now) This is my first CO2 and I just added a drop checker today, but from what I'm hearing it's very important. (to much CO2 is bad, it drops ph and couldn't possibly be healthy for fish). The kit doesn't have a regulator so your not supposed to use a diffuser, just fill the cup's that the kit comes with once a day. Well I didn't know that and ordered a bubble counter/diffuser combo and it actually works, just really really hard to set to a certain amount and keep constant throughout the day.

The tweezers it comes with are great!

An extra light would be a good idea, I found one on amazon for $30. Also I'd get the kit from amazon, only $99 with free shipping, mine arrived broken but when I did an exchange I complained and got the new kit over nighted for free.

As for stocking i'm planning on 6-7 guppies and thats probably max, maybe add a few shrimp. The filter doesn't have a ton of media in it but I like it, not sure how much bio load it'll handle. Plants will help filter though so I guess it depends on how many shrimp you really have.

If it's an option I'd keep the 10g up for a while and have them both running for a couple weeks, get a chance to run the flora filter in the 10g and get it seeded so you don't have a complete cycle to worry about.

#6 ·
I have the Fluval Ebi. The Ebi and Flora are essentially the same tank except the Flora has the added CO2 system. I love my Ebi and would recommend it over the Flora just because the CO2 system on the Flora is expensive to run and has proprietary cartridges. I don't run CO2 or Excel in it and have not had any problems with growing anything at all. I believe alot of that has to do with how light the substrate is.

#10 ·
I didn't know the cartridges are proprietary, I thought they were just run of the mill CO2 cartridges. At any rate people with reviews on youtube say one cartridge will last two months.

I'm gonna think about getting a regulator and paintball gun canister for $30 and $20 respectively then cause i'm not paying the price fluval wants for it's cartridges.

#7 ·
I have an evolve, the 8 gallon size. Personally, I really like it. I haven't had a problem with the acrylic yet, it doesn't seem as flimsy and easy to scratch as a lot of tanks. I think with proper care it could last scratch free for quite some time.

I have bolbitus, anubias, and crypts growing in it at the moment. The lighting isn't terribly strong, so low light plants would be your best bet. But as you were saying you were trying to cut down on the amount of time you had to spend on your tank, this could be ideal.

The filter is fairly powerful. Even turned down all the way, my betta struggles a bit. However, the media compartment is quite large, and if you fitted it with your own media, rather then the supplied cartridge, I think it would function for your stocking levels just fine if given time to cycle properly. You may find that it's not as visually pleasing with 4 species in a small tank, as just one or two are. As you can also fit your heater into the filter compartment, it makes an incredibly clean looking setup.

Co2 is unnecessary in a lot of aquariums if you set the system up with that in mind. Check out the low-tech forum. There are LOTS of people on this site who run lush, lovely tanks without co2. Things don't grow as fast, and your plant selection is limited, but you can create a beautiful, healthy aquarium all the same.

The link to my journal with a more in depth review of the Evolve is in my signature below.

#8 ·
I have the Fluval Edge 6 gal. The original version. I use lower light crypts and javas for the flora and dose with Excel and Fluorish. I don't have that many fish though. 4 pygmy cories, a tribe of crystla reds, 2 nerite snails, and now 2 small guppies. There is a fluval sponge cover over the filter intake to save the shrimp.

It's been going close to a year now and is quite stable with 2 gal water change weekly.

sox

#9 ·
Thanks for the responses guys! yeah, co2 is one of the reasons why I am hesitant to get the flora tank..I have no experience with it and certainly If I am downgrading because I want something that does not take as much time and money then co2 is certainly not for me. the 10gal tank I still have running had a problem with algae, I think its because It had an imbalance and was not dosing it with flourish, I did a blackout and dosed it like crazy with the flourish and now its better, im mentioning this because I also want something that is easy to take care for, not that a 10 gal is not easy but if u catch my drift I just want something simple and easy.
Regarding the fish, I love my little bunch that I have but I am definitely thinking of finding them a new home and just getting a betta, maybe some snails and if e betta is an easy going fish then maybe keeping my shrimp as well, i think that would be enough load for a small nano tank in which I can have a successful ecosystem that can be sustainable by itself...well, sort of..hehehe

#11 ·
I'd say don't go high light and do the easiest plants you can think of (anubias crypts swords etc) use plants that'll live under stock T8 lighting.

I have the edge and fluval flora and love both of them. (edge is a salt tank, flora is planted)

I know this isn't what you were thinking but this edge of mine has little to no maintenance because of the calerpa. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHn88zT4woA

#13 ·
I have the flora.. Got it for xmas & its been setup since xmas eve.. So about a week shy of a month & I am still on my 1st co2 cart. 18 bucks buys you a 3 pack on amazon. So even if I ran out today I would get a little over 2 months worth for the 18 bucks or 9 bucks a month. Just to avoid from having to store a larger setup with my nano tank its worth 8 bucks a month to me. This said If you have gotten by without co2 before I am sure you still can & you can save a few bucks by going with the Ebi. They are identical other then the co2, shipped substrate/accessories & the backround is slightly different. Both EXCELLENT tanks. There are a few other Nano tank options that are cheaper/smaller as well. The finnex 4 gallon is a looker & you can get it with a canister filter for 65 bucks from finnex.net. Another one that I recently came across are the Penn-Plax Radius tanks (some info here). There available in 3.4, 5x & 10 gallon sizez on amazon (most expensive is 100 bucks). Comparing them to the flora the dimensionsions & capacity are different & the lid on those look really neat. Especially since it would leave room in the back to use a small canister filter such as the finnex 360.

#15 · (Edited)
I vote do a different, unique fish. Not a betta. Bettas are the standard of all standard. A great fish for you would be a sparkling gourami. Easy care, docile and the cutest little fish ever :D. They also make a really cool noise,so if you get the little guys don't be surprised if weird noises are coming from your tank. (and you can keep a couple in the size of tank you have). Good luck!

#18 ·
Im eyeing the Finnex 4.5....nice and affordable...mmmmmmmhhh....I went to a LFS and they have it for $65 and it includes the filter, light and Fluval substrate!...I asked about the Betta and they told me that most Bettas are cool with shrimp, however, they will eat the young ones if the shrimp start breeding...I also looked at the Fluval tanks and they are indeed really cool but a little on the expensive side, besides the fact that I am not really that interested in the CO2 technology...Ill keep accepting suggestions, and one I decide on a tank I will post it, because after this..Its plants and the actual fish! thanks guys!!!!!:icon_mrgr

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.