The Planted Tank Forum banner

Marko's Emersed (No-Longer-)Outdoors Setup -- Bucephalandra Flower (8/24/13)

22K views 70 replies 27 participants last post by  jczz1232 
#1 · (Edited)
so i decided to start some things off emersed, to see if i could handle it. i have a container of stagnant water and some small pots with miracle grow in it. a few weeks after starting one small setup i now have this:

and now im starting a second larger one (here it is so far):

i will try and get more/better shots tomorrow.

any suggestions on what i should try to grow? or how to get the stuff to grow better?

See less See more
#32 ·
still there, no change.
i have 2 of these tubs. :) only showed pics of one. the other i didnt mess with so no pics. its in that one i have the aluminum plant.
but its a cutting i took from the one in my 10 gal sorority. its growing up against the light there, its too big. im thinking about trying to get a 20gal extra high (same footprint as a 10, but 2x as tall) and making switching everything into there an making it a riparium. but not for a few months.

#34 ·
i have a journal for these on plantedtank, but i figured why not add one here? so here goes.
one of them needs a trim really bad:

here are post-trim pics of my 2 tubs:

e. parkeri flower:

h. japan flower:

p. kawagoeanum flower:

l. 'mini':

h. verticillata:

n. pedicellata golden:

n. crassicaulis:

e. parkeri:

p. helferi:

mini fissidens:

c. hudoroi:

#35 ·
my c. wendtii brown flowered (actually 2 of them did simultaneously)! i know that this is a common crypt, but its my first crypt flower, and im pretty excited. yesterday i would say im not really a crypt guy, and that i just use them for accents here and there; but now im really rethinking that approach, and may make a crypt tank in a year or so.

crypt flower:

and here is a shot of my bruce sanggua - its really grown

and of a p. sao paulo flower:

#36 ·
Those Erio flowers just have always looked so "Dr. Seuss" or alien-looking to me. So bizarre to me!

Nice job with the crypts Marko! You wanna be very, very careful with that crypt bug! Look what it's done to me. Lol! They are a fun plant for me because they have such interesting growth patterns. They have helped to make the hobby more enjoyable again for me at least!

#37 ·
i think they are really cool.
surprisingly tall though, since its an emersed plant, it doesnt need to reach above the water, but it just grew a huge spike anyway. and the spike kept elongating even after the flower bloomed. i have a few teeny tiny bugs that have found there way in and probably live off of decaying plant matter. im wondering if maybe some of the flowers will get pollinated. really would depend on whether or not e. parkeri will accept its own genetic material as a pollen source (i know some plants require a different individual of the same species, and cannot pollinate its own flowers). same goes for the crypts.

yeah, but then im constrained with room, so it cant really get all that bad (i hope). now im anxiously staring at my itsy bisty c. hudoroi, which is as a whole plant smaller than my thumbnail (did grow 1 leaf so far though, ha).

#40 ·
Did you ever figure out what the "mystery stem" is? It looks a bit like basal to me.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S III using Tapatalk 2

#41 ·
it was IDed as a nelsonia sp.
it grows too fast though, isnt all that pretty, and nobody wants too buy it. so i trim all the time and hold onto the clippings til they rot and then throw them away. so i will probably get rid of it soon.

#45 ·
thanks guys.
im hoping the flower opens up soon.

yup. they are all in miracle grow (various kinds, depending what i had at the time, so far ive used regular, organic, cactus and citrus, and orchid). no regular fertz. every month or two i squirt some miracle grow liquid fertilizer into the water between the pots when i top off.

#47 ·
cant say. i didnt keep track of which one i used for which plant. plus for most plants i only have 1 pot, so no control group.
but i think the difference in terms on nutrients is negligible since the soil is water logged and been sitting the same pool of water leaching nutrients for months.
the only really difference i suspect would be particle size. the orchid mix has large particles for drainage, and fine root plants might not like it as much, but the HC in it still grows very nice (this one i know has the orchid mix, since its so noticeable).

#48 ·
full update time.

left tub:

right tub:

p. sao paulo flower:

t. lotus blossom growing new stems:

p. helferi:

told it was c. spiralis, i am unsure. thoughts?

c. hudoroi:

a. frazeri is flowering:

h. verticillata:

p. cadierei (aluminum plant):

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.